Got a call today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K c m, Jun 8, 2005.

1. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

Well i missed the call and the message said "rob i would like the lawn cut to two and 1/4th inches" i sat there and said wow. This is my best residential account equaling almost three acres. Last week i told the guy it isn't wise to do that in this type of circumstances. I decided to show him and droped the deck to two and 3/4ths and burnt the lawn. he liked it :realmad: Just called him and said this could be a bad move and he said just do it. 2 and 1.4 inches is what i want.

Alright man whatever you want you have a nice yard and this is going to mess it all up even if i double cut it. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a hard fast rule nothing under three inches, period! A lot of mine I even cut at three and a quarter, makes the lawn stronger, greener, more disease & drought resistant. If they don't like that then find someone else. IMHO it not only bad for the yard but not good on your equipment either, blade wise that is, to much of a chance running over things at that low a height as opposed to three inches.

JMO

-Geoff

3. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Take before and after photo's so you can show him the difference. People never cease to amaze me by how much they think they know about their lawn

4. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

Since this is your best residential account I would search for credible info on proper mowing height and give it to your client. He may not take your recommendation seriously but may listen if you had written recommendations from credible sources such as a university study or something. I've had similar problems with clients but from watering issues.

5. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Just do it and charge more for the added wear on your blades.

6. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Funny this should come up today. I was doing a place today when the owners son came out and said that his father wanted it lower. I cut this place lower than any of my others to begin with. about 2-2.25 and I raise it in a couple sections of recently planted areas. I again (as we lightly agrue a couple times per year on this subject) stated that in the recent heat, especially on the newer weak stands of grass that this would be a bad idea. He said do it anyway, his father wants it really low and if anything happens he'll take the blame. I then adjusted to 1.75" and proceded to give the lawn a nice shade of brown. I wonder if this will fianaly be cut short enough for his liking. He's also turned into a slow payer so if more issues arise I'll probably give him the boot. Takes a lot of nurve to pay when you feel like it and still feel like you can complain.

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

This is why my contracts say. "The contractor will determine the cutting height based on current and future weather conditions" Sorry no if's and's or but's. I decide what height to cut it. Which is 3.5" year round. Maybe 3.25 on the last mowing for the year.

8. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Three inches for everything here. Centipede, St Augustine, bermuda and zoysia.

I am surprised by the number of LCOs around here that mow centipede at 2 inches or less. Grass is always thin and stressed.
    The guys who have the contract for our subdivision common areas go even lower than that. They scalp everything.

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

what poor decisions..

check with ANY resource ( any agronomy person) and they will ALL SAY an average of 1" for centipede, and .5 to 1" on bermuda. zoysia is the same.... st.aug. however is a tall cut grass...

you are doing your customers a huge disservice.. that high of a mowing height can cuase major problems with those grasses.

10. moremowing4me

moremowing4me LawnSite Member
    from S.C.

I agree that 3" is maybe a little high for these grasses but trust me, 1" on centipede is way too low down here. It would never survive in the heat. I cut mine at 2-2.25" and I'll bet that not very many lco's that stay in business for very lng cut any shorter than that.