1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got a chainsaw!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fubba, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

I've just whispered around that it would be nice to have a chainsaw so that I won't have to borrow my girlfriend's dad's anymore when someone asks me to cut something up for them. Parents got me a Husqvarna 359. It's a hoss. 59 cc's. 3.9 hp. Haven't gotten to use it yet because, what do you know, I don't have any bar and chain oil. Hopefully, I'll get some soon and we'll see what this baby can really do. Hope you guys have a great Christmas and remember why we even have a holiday in the first place.
  2. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Congrats on the chainsaw! That will definitely come in handy. You have a very merry Christmas as well.
  3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

You will love the saw............. I have a new 359 and it's great!!!!!!:)

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Buy echo bar and chain oil it's the best and it's 3.99 a gallon.
  5. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, heres something you probably dont know, but will now. all bar oil is the same pretty much. if you use walmart, echo, stihl or even regular motor oil, it'll still do the same thing.
  6. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

can you elaborate, is this based on your experience or did you do any scientific studies?

7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Dude same here. But I got a stihl ms290.

I have pics in the pictures forum.
  8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i somestimes use 90wt gear oil when i dont have any bar oil handy
  9. Cobra Jock

Cobra Jock LawnSite Member

I agree with everything, except the motor oil. It's better than nothing, but its not as good as using bar oil on your chain, IMO!

10. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Bar oil and motor oil are pretty similar in the chemical material. Bar oil is actually just the leftover material from refining crude oil and such things with some additives in it. You can get away with using motor oil, tranny fluid, gear oil, if its a lube of some kind, it can be used. I actually have Husqvarna manuals here that state you can use automatic transmission fluid in the saw right there in the manual.