Got a day off, finally !

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by John Allin, Jan 15, 2001.

1. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

After 54 days in a row, we got a whole day off yesterday (Sunday - 1/14/01). Went the whole day without having to salt, plow, stack or haul.

Never fear.... snow in the forecast tonight - and we got a call to stack snow this afternoon at a food market before it snows again.

Now we start the count over again.....

2. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

I read a little blurb in my local paper that stated your area as having the second longest run of snow in the area's recorded history. I think the longest was '76/'77.

My wife just had her right-hand employee quit due to burn-out. We suspected as much and tried to give him a break, but he wants to move on to a more fulfilling field. Is burn-out an issue with you John, after (during) such a run?

3. Iceman

Iceman LawnSite Member

John,
    Sometimes I find myself wanting to do a snow dance, praying for snow. Because I really do like to plow.
    But good grief, 54 days in a row! No-way! When spring hit after a winter like that, I think you'ld see a bunch of classifieds for snow removal equipment with my phone # at the bottom.
    You guys must buy your cutting edges by the case!

4. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

RE: Burnout
    Not really. We learned about 6 years back (when we went 62 days in a row, got two days off, and then went another 24 days in a row) that we had to rotate people and make sure that they got time off every day (5-8 hours each day).

Takes some discipline to adhere to it, but it's worth it in the long run.

RE: cutting edges
    Not by the case. By the skid load. Each truck will go through 6-8 edges a season.

5. Foster

Foster LawnSite Member

Am I the only guy that breaks stuff? I swear, with every snow event this season, I have had something major break. This weekend, I just tore out the front end of my dodge pickup. U-joint parts all over the snow and broke another shock. Not to mention the alternator that went out on the dumptruck. I think I have the midas touch - except everything I touch turns to s**t! There, I have vented, I feel much better....

6. Foster

Foster LawnSite Member

sorry, I was trying to post a new 'topic' and now I can't edit it... I'm goin' to bed!

7. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

enjoy the time off while ya got it.

Geoff

8. Iceman

Iceman LawnSite Member

Don't feel bad Foster, I'm often in the same boat. But you know, when the big stuff breaks, for some reason I can deal with it. Maybe its because I'm used to it I don't know.
    But what really gets me is when all the small stuff breaks.
    Seems like during or after every event, a pull cord breaks on a snowblower, or a bearing goes on the salter, or the plow lights fail, or......! Jeez, and it never ends!

9. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

geez, I think we've only gone out twice since Jan 1st. We're praying for snow here!!!!!

10. Rcgm

Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Alrighty John,
    Been going here about 3 weeks straight with NO work boy ol boy Am I beat.LOL