got a funny for ya...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by johnsonslawnmanagement, Aug 28, 2009.

1. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

Customer calls me and says "hey I got a problem." Said a few weeds(crabgrass) had popped up since I last treatmented his Bermuda lawn, so he decided to go to lowe's. Walks down the herbicide/pesticide aisle, finds a product that says "Bermuda grass control." Buys it, takes it home, and applies it to his BERMUDA LAWN ! Long story short, he now has 3/4 acre of dead bermuda we just put down last March.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

Hall of Fame!

3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Too funny! Wonder what the AI was?

4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

Well at least you get a few extra bucks to fix his mistakes!! :laugh:

5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd have told him that he is paying for "professional service". Next time there is a problem between apps, call for service from the professional.

6. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I would think he learned his lesson! LOL

7. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I would say you are right! I'll bet his wife is driving that one home for sure:hammerhead: :laugh:

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

But it only counts if the crabgrass is doing well :laugh:

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I know Bayer sells fenoxaprop(Acclaim) over the counter in a hose end bottle as a bermuda grass control. Guess it did exactly what it said it would do. This adds credibility to the position that lawn chemicals should only be sold to properly certified individuals. I know many homeowners that screwed up their lawn with Weed-B-Gon if they were applying to a warm season grass other than zoysia. They all say "it says kills weeds not grasss." Then I need to explain that Weed-B-Gon contains triclopyr, which can be used to selectively eliminate warm season grasses.

10. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

If I remember correctly, the product at Lowe's is like (Duet)--Gly and Diquat.
    They are also selling Imazaquin--Sethoxydim--Imazapyr--Triclopyr products now. The labels are so unclear that people don't understand what they see. Ortho, Spectracide needs to be cited for their consumer misleading labels. Where are you at now--EPA?
    Lowe's said-years ago when I worked for them that-----"We will penetrate all markets with forcefull buying power and dominate the industry"---So far they are doing it with locally on nursery stock and bedding plants.
    You go to their store, buy a tree, plant the tree, water the tree, spray the crap out of it with their products. The tree then dies--they will replace it for free and while you are there buy more stuff. This corporation from NC is more like Wal-Mart than you know!!
    They are buying plant materials by the acre lot and for crazy low prices. Some groweries are owned by Lowe's in the South, yet the names aren't displayed.

The funny side to this problem is, just the othe day, I ran out of Image----went to lowe's and bought a quart for 19.00. My supplier in Central Arkansas sells it for more and then has delivery tacked on. This is a no brainer!!!!! I am going to check with Lowe's local manager and see if they can purchase and deliver my products cheaper and quicker for next season. The ferts too!! Remember, they have contractor services Too!!!