got a magna matic!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mr.we.mow.grass, Jun 7, 2006.

1. mr.we.mow.grass

mr.we.mow.grass LawnSite Member

My 2 cents about magna matic blade sharpeners, it is an awesome machine, does a great job in a short time. a must if you sharpen your own blades.
    Mel

2. M RASCOE&SONS

M RASCOE&SONS LawnSite Bronze Member

what did it set you back?and where did you get it?

3. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I completely and unequivocally agree.

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I just cant swallow the thought of paying that much for a blade grinder. I may pick up the oregon in a couple weeks. I see no reason a cheaper priced unit wouldnt last a good 5 years + if it isnt abused. We only have 2 main machines anyway so thats only 5 blades we need to sharpen each time we sharpen which is about 1-2 times per week.

5. mr.we.mow.grass

mr.we.mow.grass LawnSite Member

about $800 for the grinder and the balencer

6. TeeBox

TeeBox LawnSite Member

I just ordered one today after all the positive comments Ive heard...Cant wait to try it out...

7. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

screw that. maybe in a couple of years when i have a fleet of mowers, but i can't justify it with only 6 blades to sharpen.

8. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I Think they are great. I don't mind sharpening blades anymore.

9. Harvest

Harvest LawnSite Member

I use a $19 angle grinder to sharpen my blades or a bench grinder to sharpen my blades every day and it doesn't take all that long maybe 8 mins a blade. Depends on how many you have to sharpen BUT $800 is alot.

10. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

I don't want anyone to take this wrong and it's not aimed at, or meant to criticize a specific poster, but if we take the statement made by Harvest [really I'm not criticizing, I just want to show you a different point of view]
    You say:

"I sharpen my blades every day and it doesn't take all that long maybe 8 mins a blade. Depends on how many you have to sharpen BUT $800 is
    alot".

Now let's do the math. 8 minutes per blade times 3 blades times 5 days a week times 26 weeks a year equals 3120 minutes divided by 60 minutes per hour equals 52 hours per year spent sharpening blades. Your figures, not mine. If you have only two blades the numbers equal almost 35 hours a year.

That means that if you make $30 per hour for your time it's costing you between $1050 and $1560 a year to sharpen three blades. Mow more than 26 weeks? Increase your costs. $60 per hour [this is more like it] and it's costing you a fortune to sharpen those blades.

Now, if the MagnaMatic, Oregon or any of the other dedicated blade sharpeners can cut your time in half [I use the RBG2181P myself and if it took me 8 minutes to sharpen a blade I'd do it your way - it's more like 2 minutes each for 3 Toro 25" blades] then you can pay for the sharpener in the first year and be money ahead every year after that.

I don't know about the MagnaMatic [don't remember any negatives about it but do a search] as it came out after I bought my RBG, but I've got no reason to think that it won't last as long as any other professional quality sharpener out there and mine looks like it would go 20 years easy.

Again, do the math before you throw your hands up in horror about the $800 cost of the MagnaMatic. Also, that's not the only sharpener out there - I don't have any catalogs handy but I believe that I didn't pay more than $400 seven or eight years ago for my RBG. Remember it takes money to make money. Good luck and as in any business decision, do the math. Will M>