1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got a mulch question???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SodFather, May 9, 2001.

1. SodFather

SodFather LawnSite Member

Hello Everyone,

Ok here's my question, I got a guy who wants 100 bags of Mulch (3cu. yds. a bag). I want to just bring the dump truck in full of mulch rather than deal with bags. I calculate 100 bags to equal 1yd. Is this right? Just doesn't seem like enough.
  2. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sorry, but your question doesn't make sense to me (3cu YARDS per bag, that would be almost the biggest bag in the world).
    There is 27 cubic foot in one cubic yard.
  3. SodFather

I meant 3 cu. Feet..
  4. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

LOL... sorry just had to do it!

100 bags would be a little over eleven yards.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You'll need a tick over 11 yds. There are 300 cu ft in 100 bags divided by 27 cu ft in a yard equals 11.11 yards.
  6. SodFather

WOW...I was way off, Thanks guys for the quick reply's, And yeah a 3 cu. yd bag would be pretty big!!
  7. Lawngeek

Lawngeek Guest

you may want to charge extra for the bags..need a forklift if on pallets loading will be harder more labor time its a hard order to take
  8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

actually we find the bags ....not that bad ...can get 40 bags in the back of my ram long bed ....pallet of 80 fits in back of a 6x12 trailer ( just have em' raise it up next to the wheel wells an tip it over or if your gate comes off )....when on site drive close to the beds and throw off ...we have a small 4x6 trailer which we hook on to a walker to pull around the back n' hard to reach areas ...easier to spread in tight spots .... ....either that or pitch fork into a punch of wheel barrel fulls from the pile dumped on site .....or delivery $$ may be able to pass onto the customer if he insist on bags ;->
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Best part is you will not have all that mulch to clean up from your truck or trailer after the job. To me that is the worst part. No shoveling, just open, pour, and spread. :cool:
  10. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

For some reason bagged mulch just dosn't look good to me, I would never use bagged. It's just to much of a hassel. Bulk mulch just spreads alot easier and looks better to me. Anyway, just my thoughts, oh plus you gotta get rid of all those bags.