Got a new account this week

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chevyman1, Jul 8, 2004.

1. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been watching this company who brings in 4 guys each time to do this place, and they are good but it;s next to 3 I already do on the side. I approached the owner the other night when I finished across the way (July 5th) and asked him if was willing to accept a new bid next year or in the fall. He said he likes my professionalism and entrepreneural spirit on a holiday and said "How about you give me one now"...I told him $35 for the lawn each week, trim and blow. He said start doing it next week. Did I handle this the way you guys think is appropriate? no undercutting or anything. I have much lower overhead too

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont think anyone cares seeing as how in your previous posts under cutting is still profitable for you.

trevor

3. chevyman1

As you can clearly see sir, I didn't undercut I gave the customer "my cost of business"...is this the 'right' way to do this as I grow into a full time company? I now have 30 residentials and 2 large commericial accounts. Next year by myself I plan on doing 50-60 residentials and 4-5 commericials, maybe with 1 part timer

4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

well i don't know if you're charging less then the other guy, so I don't know if you're undercutting. But, as business minded as you may seem to the customer, gotta watch who's toes you step on in the process. I never target any customers with guys already, I don't even advertise anymore. If they approach me, i give an estimate, and either get it or I don't. But if you go around deliberately stealing accounts, gotta be careful. Put yourself in the other guys shoes. If the customer is asking around, screw them if they don't want you there, but I'd never try stealing work. There's too much out there right now.

5. chevyman1

yeah good point man (even for a Yanks fan, haha, kidding dude, us Mets fans are living high these days, but there is a lotta baseball to be played). I am trying to get the tighest routes around since this is part time now. But at the same time trying to expand, I hope to be around 90k gross next year by myself so I can work for myself. And I won't be working wintertimes!

6. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

yeah, i'm trying to tighten up my route also, but I've been fortunate enough to gain alot of customers who have never had lawn care before, so there's no baggage. I've only stolen one account in 6 years, and i was kind of forced by the neighbor to give the estimate. Luckily for me, the previous lawn guy was really cool, talked to him for about a 1/2 hour the following week when he showed up to cut the other neighbor. That's the way i am now sort of. if you were to sneakily take one from me, i'd resent you, and at the same time not care the slightest. But come across "Joey I thiNk I'm A Soprano".......and equipment winds up missing, etc.

good luck.

oh yeah...... SUBWAY WORLD SERIES PART II 2004

7. chevyman1

I would love to see another Subway Series

8. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

$35? How big is the property. I don't care if it is the size of my truck bed. I get $45 to drop the gate. Sounds like you are lowballing big time to me.

9. BrianK10

BrianK10 LawnSite Senior Member
    from usa

$45 to drop the gate? Wow.

Brian

10. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

What are you gonna do when someone comes along and want to do it for $30. Obviously you don't have a service agreement with the property owner. So when someone comes along and offers to do it cheaper than you they will get the job.