1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got a new Bob-Cat WB, please help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SMB, Jul 1, 2001.

1. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

We just bought a new Bob-Cat 48" fixed deck, gear drive walk-behind (pistol grip) w/the new 15 HP Kawasaki engine. The engine is awesome! Very smoothe with plenty of power, and easy to start so far (recoil). We got it for $2600 with a set of Jungle Wheels included (don't have them yet, should be Thursday or Friday). But..

Our ZTR really spoiled us! We're having a really hard time getting used to the wb. Any tips/tricks for gear drives? Any tips/tricks specifically for Bob-Cats? I just adjusted all the linkages today, and it made it a little easier to drive, but I want some wb veterans input!

P. S. We don't do "roundy round," just stripeing.
  2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I would just have to say get ready for the "lat" workout. You will need to try to brake just enough so you can pull the machine back towards you to make the K turn without tearing up the turf. Hence the lat workout!

I know of several LCOs who use these machines exclusively and swear by them.

Good Luck with your new purchase~!
  3. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

Swear by them, I'd swear at them!
    We used it Saturday at a residential and yesterday, at a graveyard and my Mom chopped up a foot marker, I was beat by the time I was done mowing with it, and my Dad now has his back trouble acting up. It also took us longer to mow! (We were using 1 48" Z, and the WB)
    The manuverability is awful, and it is all in all very dangerous! We're going to try to trade in in or something, the only way we can cut time is with a 60" Z!

There is no comparing this to a ZTR!!!!
  4. Bluegrass Group

Bluegrass Group LawnSite Member

We have a bunch of them and they hold up very well. The linkage does need routine adjustment though. Try a velky attachment. You can really fly with them.
  5. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Gear drives just take practice. They can be plenty productive. A trick I use is to leave one of my fingers between the pistol grip and the lever when I squeeze to make sure I neutral out the wheels w/o braking them. Just practice.
  6. Calvin

Calvin Banned
    from Ontario

Gear drives WB's with the T Bar, or from what I hear the Hustler system if it comes with gear are real easy to operate. If you go hydro on any of these you will find many benefits over a Z.
  7. shorelinelawn

shorelinelawn LawnSite Member

Give it sometime to get used to !!!
    I don't think I would run a mower I wasn't comfortable with in a tight area, like a graveyard !!!
    I'm only 165 soaking wet, and I run a 48" Lesco gear, and a 32" Bobcat gear. Good shoes are a must, so you don't slip a foot under on slippery grasses .Lesco is a big heavy mower, and I'm confident on where I can put that thing ANYTIME !! I'm just used to it .
    Yes, your lats do get a good workout, but hey, your exercising, and getting paid for it !!!!
  8. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

We have 2 48" gear drive Bobcats with the 16hp Vangaurd and we use single wheel velkes on both. They cut and maneuver great and have been very dependable. My only complaint is the grips, my hands would constantly hurt(even at night). We bought a 61" Bobcat ZTR in Jan. wich I mow with and I dread ever having to use the wb's again. Russ
  9. powerreel

powerreel Banned

With the jungle wheels just lean to do a 360' and crouch low to go real fast downhill...it's fun.
  10. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

could it be your ztr spoiled you. i had a walk behind snapper it took a while to get used to. when i first got it i was like how in the world do they run this stuff all day .i hated it until i got used to it.if i had to do it over again it wouldnt be a gear drive to dangerios on hills with wet belts cant controll it