Got a new box truck.... Now what?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rayholio, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm accepting delivery of a 2006 Chevy cab over tomorrow.. It has a 16 ft box on it, and a 1600 lb lift..

I want to put some doors on the side for hose reels, controls, sprayer engine access, ect..

How?

Do I need to find some factory alluminum ribs, and rivit them in around the holes that I cut? also, are there any door 'kits' that might have j-channel and such, so it still looks professional?

Any help would be appriciated..

2. KLR

KLR LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

we use box trucks. GMC
    Instead of fabricating doors, which caused us to raise the same questions as you, we mounted the reels and pumps/motors under the box.

Actually we spoke to the truck dealer first and they 'offered' to do the fabrication for us at a cost that was way to high (its been about 6-7 years now and I dont remember the cost they quoted)

Anyway on a Chevy frame you should have enough room to mount reels/pumps/motors under the box between the truck frame and the edge of the box.
    Our model trucks are 1999 and we created a door to hide the reels when not in use by simply adding plywood and hinges.

I'll post a picture when I figure out how?

The only down side of our way is that the wheels will toss up road dirt onto reels so we hose them down regularly (we try to wash trucks daily or at least every other day so it just adds a few minutes to the process). The up side is that we didnt lose any floor space in the truck.

3. KLR

KLR LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

lets see if this picture helps (or if the picture actually shows up?)

truck_5.jpg

4. KLR

KLR LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

these pictures are old
    we have re-lettered the trucks since then
    these are not pictures to show the truck.....just to help in how we mounted our hardware

notice the piano hinge that we used to add a skirt to the truck to hide the reels when not in use. we used a simple bungy cord to hold the skirt door open when in use, not very high tech but it works fine. you'll notice the bungy in the first picture.

we have the same thing on the other side of the truck but with only one reel because the gas tank got in the way. Inside the box we have 3 tanks....one 200 gal, and two 50 gal

truck_6.jpg

5. KLR

KLR LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

sorry folks, I posted wrong info.

I was just reminded that on the truck I posted pictures of we did not add the skirt. It was part of the truck. We just cut it off then re-mounted it with the hinge.
    That particular truck was purchased used from Penske, the truck rental company. It was their signature bright yellow color originally.

on the second picture you will notice two electric reel buttons mounted just above the 'guaranteed results' lettering

6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

SWEET! If I ever go to a box truck, I'll remember that.

7. KLR

KLR LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

you might also notice the warning sticker (printed in reverse so you can read it throught the mirror) that the truck is 10' 6" high. When in fact it is 9' 6" high.

I just thought that was smart of Penski to do that since they rent trucks out to joe public when they move their furniture from one apartment to another.

Better to be safe than sorry

8. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah... That's a pretty good looking setup.. I won't have skirts on this truck.. but I don't see what would stop me from adding some under-body tool boxes, and putting that stuff in there... Thanks a ton for the idea!

That's an excellent back-up option... but I'm still looking for info on adding doors, etc if anyone has it :)

9. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

KLR, long time since you been around. I hope all is well with you and the family.

Rayholio, I'm guessing you are not looking to install a full door but rather a smaller trap door (for lack of a better word)?

I'm also guessing that your truck has a solid faberglass body?
    An older model like what KLR has the body is actually plywood with a skim coat of fiberglass over it. That type of body would be easier, in my opinion, to do what you want. Much less chance of weakening the intergrity of the strenth of the body when its wood and simple 2x4 or even 2x3's would work to frame your door.
    If its all fiberglass...that might be a different story in maintaining the strenth of the body, I dont know.

10. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a great looking truck KLR. It's good to see you're back around too. :)