got a new chainsaw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EagleLandscape, Sep 6, 2003.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I was planning on getting the lower-end chainsaw from ECHO, the something-300 series. Everything else is too heavy for me to climb with, so this is good for trimming. Retail is 200 bucks, my shop could do it for like 175 or so, but I was at HomeDepot tonight getting some filters, and wd-40 and towels and crap, I saw this chainsaw on sale cause it was used. Comes with the full 2 yr warranty, and I took it apart tonight, and everything is fine and runs on the first pull. They wanted 120 for it, so I told them 100 and they took it. So I got a perfect chainsaw for 100 bucks with full warranty, not bad eh?

Tomorrow I'm taking out these 10 ugly bushes in the backyard with my new toy, cant wait. Pulling out the stumps with my tow straps and truck. I'll try to take before and after pictures for yall if I can find my camera.

2. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I was planning on getting the lower-end chainsaw from ECHO, the something-300 series. Everything else is too heavy for me to climb with, so this is good for trimming

Do you have any formal experience climbing trees? It doesn't sound like you do, but I could be wrong. If I am wrong I am sorry. However if I am right PLEASE be careful with whatever you do and always give thought to what you are doing, and what reactions will come about from your doing something.

3. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

It wasn't clear from your post whether the saw you got on sale was the CS-300. But yeah, that is a super-duper saw. I have the older CS-3000 and also a CS-340, which is a slight bit more powerful. VERY reliable saws, and if you're not dealing with huge trees, maybe the only chainsaw you will need. And yes, it is light enough for climbing, lots of tree guys use those saws for that reason - you can even use them one-handed - though not always the best idea. If you got an Echo for $100, that's a great deal!

I second fblandscape's warning. Treework is SERIOUS business. Lots of pros get hurt or killed every year. And those are people who know what they are doing. I do lots of minor tree-trimming - from the ground, with pole-saws, with ladders and sometimes on roofs. And all of that is dangerous. Usually more dangerous than you would expect. I used to think I had to do everything and take all the work that came my way. It was hard to say no. Now that I know there is unlimited work of whatever kind you want to do, I have less trouble turning down stuff I shouldn't be doing, like treework. It can be less dangerous to climb a tree than to work from a ladder or use a polesaw, but of course climbers are always roped into the tree with a harness. I thought I wanted to go that way but decided I would rather stay on the ground, so I refer people to the professional tree guys I know around here. I know a guy with over 10 years of almost daily experience in climbing who apprenticed himself to an old-timer so he could learn more. I heard he once broke his neck when a limb knocked a ladder out from under him (he doesn't use ladders much now). Another guy I know had his hip all smashed up when a large tree pinned him in a tight spot (years later, he's still doing treework). Another friend of mine does full service for his select group of customers. He mows, does all the gardening and landscaping and does treework all the way up to large removals. He is very slow with treework, because he is very careful. I see "unprofessional" tree workers damage property on the ground all the time - the real tree guys know how to rope things off and lower heavy limbs down carefully. Anyway, if you want to climb trees, you really should work with the pros for a while to "learn the ropes". Professionals NEVER climb a tree without being properly tied in. And they have good insurance. There is a sister site called arborsite.com with tons of info on that business.

Just some thoughts.....