1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

got a new customer today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frontier-Lawn, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

3 weeks ago i was helping a friend do some pressure cleaning work for this lady in a nice development. well her lawn guy was there, and he was the rudest thing we both ever saw. i gave her my card after we were done pressure washing the driveway and pool deck. told her call me if he does not work out. well she called me today and said she wants me to do it starteng in august. i went over and talked to her he charged her $25 a week for mowing (That i can see), and heres the reason she called me. she has her bushes trimmed 2 times a year. last time it was only $100 to trim them, she told me. this time he charged her $450 for it. (60 min of work to trim bushes?) so her total was with mowing was $550 and she showed the bill to me (rule one to keep clients; dont rip them a new 1). so i got her as a client due to: 1) being frendly, & great peronality, 2) lower prices. so im chargeing her $20 a mow. & $55hr for the triming twice a year.

why is it that when people see that old people are on a fixed income the rake them over the coals?
  2. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

so you undercut someone to get a new account? You'll regret it sooner or later.
  3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

$20 is too low for the lawn. $25 is low but it's probably the going rate, you should have charged her $30 and trimmed the bushes for a reasonable price like $100, if it take an hour my .02
  4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

So let me get this straight. You lowballed and exsisting LCO and you are using scrub (you know the word you were calling other LCO's on here last week that you got slammed for) HOMEOWNER equipment....that 21" Toro Home Cheapo $350 mower, cause we know that you really don't have a working 36" Scag cause you posted the rusted out non-working condition pics of it a couple weeks ago.........and this you are bragging about......

BTW, bragging about a punky $20 lawn and a $55 shrub job....heck I wouldn't even stop the truck for that. We quoted one at $900 today alone....you really must not have much of a business.
  5. Frontier-Lawn

He is always rude to her to. And he yelled at her when we were there becuase she hired my friend to pressure wash instead of him. sometimes he does not even show up im told.
  6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Here's a thought. Maybe she's a pita and he was trying to get her to cancel or pay up. How many times have we read on hear to overcharge a pita and if they pay, it's worth the hassle. I'd say if she is a pita, he did a good job because he got paid AND she cancelled.
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I bet 3 years from now the fixed income thing will just make you mad or want to laugh. I dont know what the lawn is worth, but you could have maybe got $30 if your as sweet as you say compared to the rude guy. You arent the one to look after the sweet old lady, her kids or grandkids should. The day will come that she is no longer around and you will be mowing the house "till it sells and we will pay you", then the grandkids wont pay you, and will inherit the money you undercharged the sweet old lady. Nice isnt it? Take care of your family and let others take care of theirs.
  8. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

It is good to get new clients because you are friendly and have a good personality...it is not so good to get new clients because you have lower prices than the last guy. Not trying to beat you up, I've been there, done that, learned from my mistakes.
  9. Frontier-Lawn

all i have to do is get a new deck and one new caster, and its ready to run. And i have been working on it all weekend in the garage, because of Dennis raining fri-sun. and besides we all have to start out some how. And what was your first equipment any how when you started & your prices! And i'm more interested in getting a customer base rite now. i want at least 10 customers by the end of summer. and low prices and quality work is my game plan. and I'm sorry to all i offended last week about the scrub post.
  10. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

your game plan is all wrong, since you will be charging low prices your quality will go way down when you realize you could be getting a lot more than you are. You will begin to hate mowing the yards you underbid on, and start to slack on the attention to detail you once had with those yards.