Got a new Fastrak 20/52 yesterday :)

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by MattB, May 29, 2005.

1. MattB

MattB LawnSite Member

Well my old cub finally gave up on me and I have been looking at new mowers for the past year and had decided on a Fastrak 20/52 for my 1 acre lot. I was mowing the back lawn yesterday with the cub and hit a small bump and the blades stopped working as the hydrostatic magnetic clutch stopped working. I have been having problems with this cub ever since my grandmother gave it to me but I couldn't comp[lain cause it was free (although it was abused by my cousins who used it for playing around and hitting things... :rolleyes: ). So I was fed up yesterday and knew that ASC (american service center in Elkton Md) had good prices. I called them up at 2:20pm yesterday (they closed at 3pm) and asked if they had any 20/52's in stock and the guy said he had one left for $4600 delivered to my house. I asked him if he could deliver it today cause I still had the rest of the front lawn to finish. He said he could have it to me in 1 hour and that I could just pay him when he delivered it to my house (what great service as I had never even been to their shop). I opted for the springed seat kit and hour meter which brought the total to $4698.00 delivered and cause I am in Delaware I did not have to pay sales tax woohoo. Anyway I got to cut the front lawn last night and I must say wow. This thing cut my entire front lawn in 30 min and I was cutting it similar to the way I cut it with the rider (I think I can cut it down to 20 min once I get good with the Hustler). I estimate it taking me about 45 min total for the whole lawn instead of the 2.5hrs it used to take me. I hated spending that much on a lawn mower but I am glad I did as it is a quality piece of equipment and cuts like a dream. Thanks for all the advice/help from the forums as they made my choice much easier.

Best regards,

Matt

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Welcome to the Hustler family!
    You will really enjoy your mower once your 100% familiar with it, it will save you so much time.
    Lets see some pics!

Pj

3. cdolor

cdolor LawnSite Member

Sounds like you were dealing with Marty at American Service Center. Great Guy and best prices around. I live in the Elkton area and called him from our summer home in Maine to order a 20/52 Fastrak. It was ready the next day when I arrived. The spring seat and hour meter are needed options. Make the job more comfortable.
    After 1 year and 40 hours of cutting I couldn't be happier.
    Chuck

4. MattB

MattB LawnSite Member

I was dealing with Marty. He had a good price and great service which I appreciated.

I will be cutting with the mower for the first time tomorrow after work. Marty said I should change the oil but not the filter after the first 2 hours. Is there anything else I need to change or adjust after break in? Oh, and I want to get a set of extra blades to change out when the others ones go dull. Are there any blades that you recommend?

Thanks for the info.

Matt

5. cdolor

cdolor LawnSite Member

Hi Matt,
    I did my first oil change at 5 hours including filter. I think that is way Marty said to do. Things may have changed though. I did go with the Honda oil filter also. It was more expensive but I figured it would best protect the Honda engine. Only $4 or $5 more expensive. The other maintenance I do is grease the 6 fittings (4 above the deck and 2 on the front wheels), keep it clean (including the IZTs and fans), front and rear tire pressure at 10 PSI (helps with the ride), and armor-all the seat. I am still on my first set of blades but I sharpen them every 5 or 6 hours of cutting and clean the deck while I'm at it. They come off easy using a floor jack to lift the front. I am happy enough with the factory blades to get the same ones when I finally need them.
    Good luck with your new toy.
    Chuck

6. MattB

MattB LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I think I will make a trip next week to get a new filter and some new blades so I can swap them out every 10 hours or so. BTW how do you sharpen the blades on these properly?

Ps.- I cut the whole lawn for the first time and took it slow but managed to get the whole lawn done (including weedwacking and blowing) in 45min. What a big time saver. I am still amazed at the speed and cut quality.

7. cdolor

cdolor LawnSite Member

I shapen mine with an mini-grinder (4 1/2" body grinder). Kind of crude but I hang the blade off the edge of a concrete block, hold with my foot and sharpen the edge. I put a bolt with a bearing in my bench vise and hang the blade in it to check balance. I just take more material off the heavy side. Works great.
    Your time will only get better. I can cut my pretty fast now. Only problem is my 13 year old daughter is starting to enjoy cutting so I don't get to use my toy as much.
    Chuck