1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got a new FS-85 whats should i do???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by columbiaplower, Jul 2, 2000.

1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

what are the first things i should do to it? it the anything i should know about it? any tricks?should i take the spark arrestor off?<br>thanks <br>nick
  2. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

The first thing you should do is use it!!!:)But to answer your question I would take the spark arrestor off.Why????Becouse in no time it will gunk up and your trimmer will not want to run.I know it is use to prevent forest fires but I not useing my trimmer anywhere close to a forest!I guess the only thing that could burst into flames would be my clients lawns:)Oh ya make shure every year you grease up your trimmer shaft and head.Hope this helps!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care
  3. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

USE GOOD OIL. stihl, redmax, amsoil.<br>Big difference in quality of lube. Don't use cheapo oil. Stihl is only about $12.00 gallon. Use 90 octane, not 87 if it is the newer engine.
  4. paddy

paddy LawnSite Member

i got an FS-85 and i love it. I finally figured out how to start it, pump the primer 5-10 like tehy say in the manual, set the choke, set the throttle to start. AND OPEN THE GAS CAP FULLY, THEN CLOSE IT. with that last step, it starts on the first/2nd pull all the time, thats better than it ever has worked for me in 3 years. i also have the hedge trimmer and the tiller, both great
  5. Bush Master

Bush Master LawnSite Member

Use Top grade oil.After a couple of tanks of fuel I'd readjust the carb and get a little more rpm out of it afterall the higher the rpm the more fuel and most important OIL.I also have a grease fitting that i put on the foot when its time for lube just to save on that high dollar stuff that the dealer sells<br>use a good load rated grease i am still running my fs 74 which is oh about 4 years old and it has never been in the shop.<br>good luck