got a new gig for 2002/ holiday decorating

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yergus, Dec 4, 2001.

1. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

When I first found out about this sight, the first question I asked was, Does any one do holiday decorating, and I only recieved one reply, and that was saying it was a good idea, and if i found anything out, let them know.
    Well I did some research, located a wholesale light company that deals with a lot of lawn care companies, and I contacted them.
    I was told that since I will be buying wholesale, to add 40% to the price of the lights, guestimate how long it will take to install, take down and repackage. the profits is tremendous.
    I have a new weekly cut, first cut next march, and he asked if i did holiday decorating. i advised him at that point no, but i would be getting into it next season.
    he said that he had a lawn care company do his house last year, and he would like for me to do it this year. of course he still had the lights from last year, so that will save him money.
    i measured the house, figured how long it would take and sat and did my figures. the company that did it last year paid less than two hundred dollars for lights, extension cords and hangers, and the rest was labor. it cost him eight hundred dollars, for two and a half hours labor (2 men) to install, one hour to take down, and fourty minutes to repackage and hand them to the owner.
    i quoted him 195 to install, 225 to take down and repackage, and he jumped at it as if i would be changing my mind. he has all the lights, extention cords and hangers. all it will take is two hours, or less to install, two hour to take down, using myself and one other worker. now i ask this question? how many of you will be offering holiday installation next year?
    :blob4: :blob4: :D

2. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

Just did my 1st one last week. A new cust. that moved up from FL told me the same thing about her lco doing it down there and asked if I would do it. It was just a string of c-7 lamps across the roof line. With these I was able to do the whole length, 90',in one run. Brand new $1.5 million house. She didn't even ask how much, just do it.

3. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I have done this quite a few times. You can make some good money with this, especially since there isn't any mowing to do in the winter. A lot of people see my house and ask if I could do it to theirs, but I also have clients ask me.

4. wolfpacklawn

wolfpacklawn LawnSite Member

I started doing lights this year and have done 8 houses so far. It helps keep me busy during this time of the year. I just charge by the hour ($35) and I have the customer sign a "hold harmless" agreement. I would recommend doing this because if something goes wrong with their lights and causes property damage your liability insurance probably wouldn't cover this as a lawn care provider. My hold harmless agreement basically says that I am hanging the lights as directed by the home owner and that I am not liable for anything that may go wrong with the lights (fire damage, electrical or whatever) after I hang them.

5. pyrocare

pyrocare LawnSite Member

I was looking at maybe doing this with in a couple of years and I couldn't decide whether if I should just go out on my own or if I should go with a franchise.

Brite Ideas => $14,900, no roalties
    Christmas Decore => approx $13, 000 and roalties

I just was wandering if any of you have used either of these.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Wolfpacklawn,

I was thinking about the hold harmless agreement and I do agree that a guy should have something like this if you are working above the board.
    My question is did you run this by your attorney?

Reason being is that basically you are running electrical cords and there are standards for outdoor wiring (GFI,outdoor rated wiring).

I know that most of us aren't electricians but I sure would hate for someone to come to a house and use the cheapest electrical cords, overload a circuit anc cause a fire. If you are paid by check amd/or they signed a hold harmless agreement that isn't enforceable it is very easy to prove that you were the one who wired it. If you did something outside of the electrical code for your area, you are sunk.

I certainly am not trying to rain on the parade as I know there are lots of guys doing this quite profitably and safely. I know that there are franchises that advertise Christmas lighting also and wonder what there procedure is.

Happy Holidays

7. wolfpacklawn

wolfpacklawn LawnSite Member

MOW ED

Yes, I had my attorney write this agreement and all the work is "above the table". I feel that it is very specific in its wording about my liability. I will attach part of it for those who may be interested. Obviously when I hang the lights I try and make sure that nothing is going to overload the cuircuit or cause any problems but the agreement is more about covering my "posterior end" in case if something goes wrong.

Attached Files:

8. jdwilliams1

jdwilliams1 LawnSite Member

yergus, I have done quiite a bit of research and have gotten many names from the internet for purchasing christmas lights wholesale. I would never do christmas decor franchise, no need to spend that money, this isn't rocket science. Would you mind sharing the company you will be purchasing from. I have gotten a lot of info but my local Lowes is offering better prices than some of the wholesale companies, it sounds like the company would suit us LCO. If you don't mind that would be great.

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have not done this before, but have seriously been thinking about it. I have a simple question. On the new installations that you have to put the hangers on, do you generally leave the hangers on after the season is over? Also, what are the names of the wholesalers where you purchase your lights? Are they over the internet?

10. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

the company that i found that i will be doing most of my business with is
    www.upnorth-lighting.com
    you might want to add them to your list as well