Got a New One

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by firefightergw, Apr 16, 2006.

1. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

A woman calls me a couple of weeks ago for lawn care this year. I give her an estimate over the phone for bi-weekly mowing. (Estimate over the phone is another thread. Have a system). Anyways, she agrees and we put her on the schedule and mow. I leave a contract for her to send back with payment. Call her the night after we mowed and she said we did an awesome job. We were scheduled to mow again this week. Get a call from her husband over the weekend saying he is back in town and will be doing it himself. I explain that the price I originally quoted was for a minimum of six bi-weekly mowings and I would have to charge X+tax. Anyways, he asked to confirm address to send payment and then says he needed some references from me from other people on his street. I WAS DUMBFOUNDED and LOST FOR WORDS. I said, " Sir, I've already serviced your lawn. What did you think and since you are going to be doing it now and not us, why do you now need references? He said, "I'll send that check". WEIRD!!!:dizzy:

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't expect much else out of a blind bid, I never give prices without looking at the lot and for those who insist, I'm all ready to write them off at such time.
    System or not, there's no telling and one day you'll have grass up to your @$$ on a ready-quoted price.

You can have your price over the phone if you want, but I still need to look at it and half the time I'm left feeling like something is missing and I've just been had... Sometimes I go take a look but other times I just write it off, it's just not worth the hassle.

The only way I'll do it is so long they understand that price over the phone means no guarantee I'll actually show up to do the job.

3. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I don't give price's out over the phone either.It seems like every other call you get for an estimate the person asks what do you charge.All yards are different,if I know the area I can give the a price range the it might fall between.

4. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

Just what I figured. Turned into a price over the phone thread. Close almost 100% of my calls the way I do it. Yeah, I might get a couple of suprises but in my time and gas it well pays for itself. Thought you guys would see the humor in the story.

5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

There is humor in the story thats for sure.Never heard of someone wanting a reference after getting rid of you:dizzy: .But I have also heard if you close 100 % of your jobs quoted then your price's are to cheap.If you only close like 25% then there to high.