1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got a new rig and can't be more happy!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Rons Rightway Lawncare, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I listed my Isuzu NPR here a few weeks ago and found a buyer for it. He sent a driver here to get it yesterday... it was a good truck but I am soooooooooooooo glad to see it GONE!

It was loud inside, hot inside, bumpy ride, not something to take to the movies, etc.... A work truck if there ever was one.

But dam, I work pretty hard and I work alone and I just wanted something nicer to ride around in from yard to yard! Something possibly a little cheaper and with better gas milage would be a bonus.

I am back to a truck and trailer. Went out to look at the new Chevys since I have had great luck with the last several chevys, and wanted to take a quick look at the new Toyota Tundras before really getting a deal worked up on a Silverado.... Well I am so glad I took a look at the tundra! What a awesome truck!!!!

I wasn't sure if I wanted a open or enclosed trailer, but found a deal on a well used 7x16 enclosed trailer for 2 grand and I thought I would give it a try. I got both ZTR's, and all my 2 cycle stuff in it, plus rakes and shovels and other things I don't normally carry in the trailer. I am not sure what my all up towed weight is but probably somewhere around 5500-6000 pounds. The truck tows the trailer like there is nothing behind it. Absolutely amazing...

The truck is also very quiet inside, smooth ride, great brakes, and so on and so forth. The only truck I have had that was even close to this one is my old 03 Avalanche, and it wasn't as vault like as this tundra is.

I have no idea what my gas milage is yet, I have only put 160 miles or so on it and over half of it was unloaded non towing miles from the dealership to my house and running some errands with it. I filled up tonight even though it was still over half full, and the milage worked out to a little under 14 mpg, but like I said that was not all towing miles. I will have to see as time goes on what she will do. Surely it will beat my Isuzus average of the lowly 8.5 to 9.5 mpg.

The tundra has the big 5.7 engine with the 6 speed automatic. It is a impressive truck
  2. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

You won't get much love around here, but you will love it. What color did you get?
  3. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Was going to try to get metallic silver, but the one I found that had the stuff I wanted and the lowest price happened to be white with a brownish beige colored interior. I got a double cab like yours, sticker was around 28 grand, I got mine for 22,700 out the door.

Don't know why there wouldn't be some love for the Tundra, anyone smart enough to pass a drivers license test would instantly see how awesome the Tundra is as soon as they see one in person and drive one.

I know there are some rednecks here that would only buy Ford, or Chevy no matter what... I know there are some here that think you should only buy American - even though the Tundra is more american than a american truck! - and I know that there are a bunch of dummies that think they just have to have a huge F-350 or larger truck with a Diesel engine just to tote a trailer like mine around and anything smaller or anything running on gas is crap...... Oh well, their loss!

I can tell you that this truck has the feel of a 3/4 ton truck. It feels stout, far stronger feeling than my old 2005 Chevy Silverado. And the engine is amazing, this is certainly the fastest vehicle on four wheels I have owned so far. And I keep looking at the truck and thinking, dam that thing is huge!.... It really is a large truck.

Anyway, what do you and the other Tundra drivers see typically as far as MPG goes?
  4. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats on the new truck Ron, You cant go wrong with a toyota.....I went from owning two toyotas products to two ford products and have done nothing but pay $$ on repairs to the fords.........Wish i had my toyotas back, Never had a Tundra but had a tacoma and a Sequoia, Both amazing, one had 200,000 and the other had 140,000 miles on them when i sold them. Only had to fix minor wear and tear stuff neither ever gave me any problems. That truck should be able to keep you on the road for along time to come........Got any Pics??:)
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I think you will like the Tundra! I owned one 4 or 5 years back, when they were still relatively small in size compared to forde/dodge/chevy. If mine hadn't been black and had such a poor payload capacity I'd probably still own it.

I think you got a good deal on it too. I had no Idea you could even FIND a Tundra for that kind of price. I thought the base models started around $30K and went up to around $50K. :dizzy:
  6. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I have been getting about 13.5 MPG without my trailer over the last few weeks all city. This is with a 550 lb sprayer in the bed. You should be able to pull off like 17 MPG highway. I've even been as high as 20.

You will notice the engine will wake up even more around 3,500 miles or so, atleast mine did.

I considered white when I got mine. White looks good coming down the road.
  7. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

For me, I think that this is a lot of the reason why I don't personally care for the Tundra. It's HUGE but only has the payload/towing capacity of any other 1/2-ton truck...

I think they were trying to out-Dodge Dodge...
  8. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

For what your hauling the Tundra 1/2ton is a great truck, its a large truck that cannot haul more than a 1/2 ton. You just drove another nail in the coffin for Chevrolet & Ford though? I get 13MPG with my CTD hauling a Kubota MX6800 on a 30ft gooseneck. Toyota is going to drop the nuclear bomb here in 2010 with a 8.0L inline 6 Hino Turbo diesel option in a Toyota Tundra 3500 dually?. We will find out how loyal Folks are, I support the US automakers, regarless if US autoworkers built the Tundra; the profits from that Tundra go back to China :usflag:
  9. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Ah, Toyota is Japanese. I am hoping that all truck makers improve not just in power but with reliablity/low maintenance and better fuel mileage. I don't care for the styling of the 'Yota but do like the new Nissan fullsize. Good luck with your new truck.
  10. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't believe this is true- they did put one in a 'show' vechile - AND I LOVED THE TRUCK - upon further reading the 8.0 was inches from the inside heat vents in the cabin (no real heat/ac/ or dash)
    I'm a Ford guy somewhat- but I was ready to get that toyota- Alot of people don't them them here - but i have never based my business decisions off of other people anyways.:laugh:

$22,7K for the truck- How did you do that? Please inform us.