Got a new Trailer 7x16 and a Dixie Chopper on monday!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RedWingsDet, Aug 11, 2004.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Well i got another trailer, and a dixie chopper on monday, along with 2 salt spreaders.

Reason i got another trailer and a dixie, is because school is starting in a few weeks, and i dont want to have to be stressed out with cutting and school..... SCHOOL COMES FIRST.....

so i got another trailer and a rider, so that way on thursdays and fridays i an have two crews with 2 guys in each truck. one truck pulls the 5x10 with the 48 and a 21" with the FS 110 and FC110 and BP Blower. and the other truck pulls the 7x16 with the 50" Dixie, 36" gravely and a 21" and ill be getting new redmax equipment within the next 2 weeks.

so this way i can have two crews, not be stressed out, get done faster, and have still have time to do good in school and run a successful business.

anyway im just real excited that ive grown this big this past year, i know i have alot more to face in the business. but i figure ill buy the equipment that i can while i dont have that many bills yet.

2. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Get ready to get blasted for the Dixie, how do you like it, what model is it, also what is the new truck . Congrats hope you enjoy it.

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

mark--I don't have the numbers but are you sure you are gonna be proffitable in that arrangement?

4 persons cutting 48 properties? 2 crews doing only 24 per week?

the overhead alone on equipment trucks, mowers, insurance, yada, yada is going to kill you! I would freak out under those conditions!

I applaud your school ethic as being most important because it surely is.

in any event, good luck!

GEO :)

4. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

How can a 16 year old even get enough credit to buy such things? You can't even hire anyone because you need working papers for yourself? and why is he going to get blasted for buying a Dixie?

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Glad to hear the school part. Keep at it and don't lose it during snow season as when it snows you have to go. Not as easy to schedule as lawns so be careful what you set up.

6. chevyman1

he can't plow snow during school, can he? this just can't be true. You can't pay someone else when you are 16? can you?

7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

chances are 9 out of 10 that he isn't paying on the books, 4 people working a couple hours after school is nothing in wages to speak of.

8. chevyman1

that makes some sense, but do you even think he has this equipment? or is he a scrub?

9. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

premier, i don't mean this as an insult, just calling it as i see it ....

i think he's semi scrub-ish. he just started this year and is already up to 48 accounts. I'm not doubting that it is possible to gain that many. however if he's winning every single bid for lawns there is something wrong with his pricing which will end up shooting him in the foot in time. He may be making money now by not paying insurance/taxes on employee's etc, sales taxes, etc. going this route makes it financially easier to buy the equipment, also keep in mind he has no rent, food, storage expenses.

do i think he has the equipment? yes.

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

as for the kid thing/ scrub thing, personally I wasn't wanting to go there so I wont.

my question is to his profitability.

I say you can't be that heavily burdened in expenses and make any money running that kind of schedule.

that is just my opinion based upon my experience.

GEO