1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got a new (used) Ferris!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KathysLGC, Mar 14, 2002.

1. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I got a new (Used) Ferris 48" Dual hydro walkbehind yesterday. This thing is mint. I paid $1600 for it. This is my first hydro so after bumping the garage door twice and allmost running myself over going reverse I got the hang of it. The Mower was repossesed once so it sat around for a while. The thing has lots of power and everything on it is like new. I will have to do my home work with it to be better with controling the hydro drive. I am so used to pulling the handles of a belt drive hard so a hard tug on this baby sends her flying in reverse into me. I also got a Shin T230. Man was i having a good day!:D This trimmer is nice and runs so smooth. Quik question, do new trimmers need to be primed? The dealer asked me if I new how to prime one so I just let them do it. All they did was put gas in it, started it, let it run for a minute then slowly went to full throtle for another minute. Is that nessisary or did they just want to break her in?
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

congrats on your purchase. just curious, what dealer is it? sounds like you got a good deal. just get the kinks worked out so you dont hit customers garage doors :D
  3. Redmowers

Redmowers LawnSite Member

I did the same thing when i first bought my hydro. I decided to mow my fathers lawn he is more understanding if I mow over something. Well being used to my other mower to stop by letting go of the handle to stop an shift. Big mistake a hydro goes forward when you let go of the handle and wedged itself between a shrub and a fence,then was spinning the tires til I regained control. I'm glad I did a practice run there before doning other lawns first.After a couple of hours I got real handy with it ,everyonce and a while I have a brain fart going between mowers but not very often. Enjoy your purchase hydros are great !:cool:
  4. KathysLGC

MDB I've been looking in the bagain news since December. I picked it up from a guy in Prospect. It was an hour drive well worth it. The Shin is from a dealer in Norwalk. Paid $250 for the trimmer. Today Playing with the hydro was fun. Getting the hang of it but thats just in my drive way. Later I will bring it to my lawn and practice Walking the lawn with it and practice going in str8 line and turning into the next row. I put it in high gear in my driveway and the front end popped up and stayed up until I walked faster. I havent had this much fun since learning how to ride a bike!:D
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Playboy wrote:
    Quik question, do new trimmers need to be primed?

Yes, whether a trimmer is new or not has nothing to do with it. The carbs on these small engines are of the type that the fuel runs out of them when they are not running so you need to get the fuel back up to them to get 'em to run.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Good Luck with your new Ferris, Playboy. We have been using them for the past 8 years now (all hydros) and we luv 'em. You should make a lot of money with that machine.
  7. Use your own judgement. First start of the day it will need it, than after that if it doesn't start by the 3rd pull it will need to be primed.

This is my experiance. Yours may differ.

What size Kaw. engine is on it?
  8. KathysLGC

She's got a 15Kawi on her. I wased it today and touched up the rust spots. I will take a pic soon and post it. It is a nice looking machine.
  9. 52" Scag belt drive w/no eninge

How well does this one do?

Glad you got a Ferris that did not have the 17hp single cyclinder on it.
  10. KathysLGC

Is the 17 kawi Single no good? The Scag was the first mower I bought. Got it with no engine so I could put a 17-18hp on it but lost the desire when I found out the the prices where for engines. The Scag is rough need a tire also. I painted it and changed the grips,bolts, and cotter pins on it. Greased it up also. It looks ok but needs help. I have it in the paper.

PS ever try getting a Scag 52" on a pick up with no engine?:cry: