Got a PLUGR Hydro

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by David Grass, Mar 2, 2006.

1. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Bought a Plugr Hydro last week. At first I thought "what have I done?", as it wore me out on 2 smallish lawns I did. Then today, I did my own yard and let the machine do the work, and worry less with the Hydro which I finally figured out would forward without me having to do it. I simply nudge it when going up a slight grade or transporting from a to b. Now that I have a couple of hours of experience under my belt, I am quite pleased with the unit. Cant wait to make more $$$ this week.

2. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

If you don't like the hydro, I'll trade you my PL800 for it. Just let me know.:dancing:

3. David Grass

Thanks, but I will need it here in the mountains of NC. I just had to get used to the balance of using it with the forward motion of the tines (takes a few times to get the hang of it)

4. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

What did you pay for it? Around here they are $3995 for the PL850 with Briggs engine. Need a lot of yards to pay for.

5. David Grass

got a better deal than that, and got the Honda, no real dealer in my area, so I was able to go thru the distributor for our two Carolina states. The thing is, if I get 2 mowing accounts simply because I have more professional services to offer, then it is paid for on that merit alone. Often times, business is much more than numbers!

6. DLS1

Your kidding right. The customer cares about the price and if a job is done to their satisfaction. The could care less if you rent an aerator or have a new one that your bought.

So the more fancy toys you get the more customers you get. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

7. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

The only way he'll loose money on that machine is if he runs over it with a truck, bounces it off a moving trailer, or simply doesn't sell aerating services. That machine should easily last 10+ years, but will be paid off in the first season.

That purchase is as sound as a pound...yea baby!!

8. David Grass

No I am not kidding and I have been in business for 18 years watching many come and go all the while. I was the third person in my area to even own a commercial walk behind back in the 80s, when everyone would pass them up for an MTD or whatever. Yes, my customers DO care what I OWN. The aerators you can "rent" in my area are junk. I just dont work with crappy equipment. It hurts my spirit of doing a good job as well as my body. Yesterday I sold enough Aeration jobs to my customers to pay for 25 percent already, and I picked up an additional account, and yes, the new guy was actually impressed that I "OWNED" a lot of great equipment. The operative word is not "fancy" as you described, but an underlying "sense" of business spirit and attitude.

9. DLS1

You got some weird customers if they care what you own to get their grass mowed. So do you wash your truck, trailer, equipment every day. If you don't then you should since it sounds like you could pick up even more customers with that new clean looking equipment every day.

The area I mow is 350,000 - $500,000 (1 million or more for you guys on the east and west coast) subdivision homes and they could care less what I own. No one mentions they wished I owned a newer truck or that I would aerate their yards with an aerator I own instead of using a rental aerator.

By the way how do your customers know what equipment you own vs. renting? Do you tell them up front you own the finest equipment money can buy. :laugh: :laugh:

10. David Grass

OK you win, You do a lot more than I do, I only do 3 days work, off 4, go camping a lot, write music, read literature,.......but......... I LIKE OWNING my new aerator, and am making good money with it now. I only wanted to share in case someone else was thinking of getting one. I should have rented one tho, because driving 2 hours round trip to rent one (yes Waynesville is the only place that rents them in my area) and only getting the rental unit (the little 410) would be what you recommend. NOT for me. I think you have SOME good advice for folks on Lawnsite, but each man, and each area, and each business is unique. What works for you , will not for me, ..... it may for others tho, so your advice is worthy. Just dont preach sarcasm to me. It lends NO credibility to your suggestions. Good luck to you in your endeavors.