Got a problem.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JClawncare, Apr 21, 2006.

1. JClawncare

JClawncare LawnSite Member

My problem is that I mow a small yard 14'x30' with something on all four sides. The guy that lives there fertilizes once a week and it is about a foot tall when I come to mow. The grass clumps real bad. I have asked about coming every 5 days. That's a no go. He don't want to pay for bagging. I thinking of buying a mulch plate for my WB. I mow it at 4" he complains about the grass clippings. Will a mulch plate help or should I bag it and eat the cost. He is one of the tenants in a townhouse complex that I mow. The rest love my work. But I worry about one bad apple spoiling the rest. Any suggestions. IYO what would work best in this situation or are there any other options?

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Tell him once a week and you bag it and if he still dosen't want to pay for you to do it like you need to then drop him.Simple as that..don't worry ..you just can't allow your customers to dictate what is necessary for you to perform your work properly and cost effectively.

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

If you eat this one, you will be eating a lot of others because this is normal behavior for more than a few lawncare customers.

4. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

No way... the guy sounds like a nutjob. Dump him if possible!

5. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

nothing grates on me more than these types of people. They pour on the nitrogen or have a spray service do it and then expect their lawns to be mowed at a reasonable height. We tell them to cut back the water and fertilizer or the best they'll get is a tall fairly poor cut. I won't eat the expense of bagging or double cutting when conditions can be changed to rectify the problem.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Put the plate on and raise the mow height, usually there is a limit on the height most grasses will grow.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Does he work for TGCL?;)

Do not eat the cost of anything with this guy. Your way or nothing. Before you go hard core on him, why dont you try and educate him on what he is eventually going to do to that lawn. Soon you won't have to worry about mowing it with that kind of N load on it.
    If you have time and money to burn by basically working for nothing then give in but I don't think thats a good idea.

8. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Mow it twice and high if you like the guy. Thats all that can be expected. Guy sounds like someone I dont want to work for.

9. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I would go your way or no way. A mulch plate is not the answer, and like said earlier, if you eat this, you will be eating more, do not give in to this guy. Your quality of work will stand for itself, and you should not spend the time to bag, and or double cut for nothing, due to the guys poor knowledge of fertilization and maintenance schedule. Just my .02

10. JClawncare

JClawncare LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input.
    Yes the guy is a prick,I have tried and one of my guys have tried on separate times to talk to him and be friendly but both times it is met with I'm better than you attitude so don't talk to me just mow the grass and don't get any on my siding. So I ignore him and told my guys to do the same. But I think I will raise the deck on my fixed deck WB. He is my first problem child and he has caught me off guard.