Got a question bout accepting credit cards

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by TXNSLighting, Apr 30, 2007.

1. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

How do you get set up for this? And do you think its worth it? Ive been looking into it, and it seems pretty complicated, but i think it may be worth it.
    Any input would be appreciated.
  2. caslong

caslong LawnSite Member
    from Tn

It is worth it. Many people are getting away from cash and checks. I think you will gain business by using it. I would start at your bank, see what they have to offer. Go to the yellow pages and check out other companies. The rates and prices of machines vary like cars at dealerships.

I actually use pay-pal through my website. It was the cheapest way to go for me.
  3. NELawnCare

NELawnCare LawnSite Member

There is a couple of easy and inexpensive ways.

#1. If you want a way to hook CCs to your website, I use paypal. Check out how I integrated CC payments via Paypal on my web site (see link in sig) and click the Pay Online option.

#2. If you want to accept CCs on site, I use a service agreement form. This form is used for me to capture the credit card information, CCV code, and billing address information. Then I go home and use QuickBooks to charge their account. The money goes directly into my account. The CC is an "add-on" service to QBs, but worth it. It costs $14/month to use the service and there is a %2.9 service fee on each transaction. I work this fee into the overall cost of the job so it really comes out of the customers pocket.

Most banks offer this service too, but charge a fee to establish a Merchant account and their % service fee is usually higher than QB and Paypal.

PM me if you need more info.
  4. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

wow looks great. yeh a friend of mine told me he was going to use pay pal, so i think i will go that way for now. thanks for all your help, and your web site looks great!
  5. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

I have the pay-pal set up as well. I do think the credit card machine and set up is a bit pricey....
  6. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

it's been a few years, but i suggest talking to someone you trust, like your bank first. i was taken by someone on the phone. they failed to give me a complete copy of my contract. after 6 months i had 0 payments made by credit/debt but i was paying all the fees, i decided to cancell and they said i had to continue and then faxed me a page that I DIDN"T HAVE that said it was a two year contract. i'm stuck with that crap on my credit cause i paid a year to them and they ain't getting anymore. go to the bank or a trusted service on-line and make sure you have all the writing for your files too.

it was a while ago. my customer like cash, checks, and the commercial and industrials like direct-deposit.
  7. Turfinator1

Turfinator1 LawnSite Member

I like the Quick book idea that NELawn has with the accepting credit cards. Do you pay the $14 a month to Quick book?
  8. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

yup, paypal is the way to go.. use their virtual terminal.. $20/month, plus <=2.9%

this is a secure website you log into and enter the customers cc # .. you can keep em on file and bill monthly. you can get peoples #'s on the phone while making the sale.. makes it easy for them.

also... they offer email billing for no monthly fee, only the 2.9% .. but you dont get to enter the cc# .. you email the bill and they click on the link and pay. would work well (cheap) if people were prepaying for the season or big jobs.

otherwise if you have enough accounts to justify it, i think $20/month isnt bad at all to be able to have your cash instantly at the end of the month or whatever. i personally need 10 more accounts before i move to cc. that'll be this fall.
  9. NELawnCare

NELawnCare LawnSite Member

I like both Paypal and QuickBooks. QB is a bit less expensive @ $14.99/month + 2.9%. Both are a good choice.
  10. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

well it does sound like pay pal is the way to go. seems easier and less room for error. thanks for all the help guys!