Got A Quote For New System - Your Comments Please!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by NewtoUSALawns, Aug 28, 2007.

1. NewtoUSALawns

NewtoUSALawns LawnSite Member

Some Help from the Professionals!

I had a friend sent a guy to my house to give me an estimate for sprinkler system. I am new to US (see my post here, http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=196651), so I am asking your comments.

I got this from him

$2,200.00 for
    20 Rotors and 11 Spray Heads. Hunter PGP, Falcon Backflow Preventer, and Rainbird Controller Unit. Schedule 40 for main, and Poly for other lines. 12’’ deep lines, will level/dirt/seed. Warranty and free winterization for 1 year.

My neighbor got $2,500.00 for 33 Rotors, No Sprays – Same specs.

I know that the gentleman is more fluent in Spanish, and game me an estimate on a notepad. But claims to have done lots of commercial work, and recently started his own company. So far they walked the property, put flags, then gave estimate.

I have seen in my line of work many smaller companies who were learning to be professionals (didn’t appear professional in the beginning) but did excellent work.

I do not want to hold anything against him, but also do not know if his price is fair, or what more should I ask him or the next company we call!

Thanks and cheers Mate!

PS: Sorry if homeowners are not supposed to post here!

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

" Falcon Backflow Preventer ?? "

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

How many zones?

4. NewtoUSALawns

I think that's what he told me. As I said he is more fluent in Spanish, so perhaps I could not understand him.

5. NewtoUSALawns

6 Zones,

4 in the back, 2 in the front.

Which is good make/model for Backflow Preventer?

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Probably Febco.

Do you have a good set of pictures of your landscape?
    How large of an area are we talking about?
    How diverse are the plantings?
    What type of valves is he using?
    What type of sprays is he using?

BTW, IMHO the quality of the work is the bottom line, and you get what you pay for in most cases, so be wary of the low bidder and be wary of the high bidder who is nothing more than an over priced idiot.

7. NewtoUSALawns

Thanks! Here is some more info?

1. I can post pictures.
    2. Approx 11,000 SF. See the attached layout (I measured it for fertilizer purposes). Rear yard is sloping to the back.
    3. Very few plantings, only very young small trees (6'-7' ht.)
    4. Do not know about valves make. Please suggest, so that I can ask him to install those.
    5. Do not know about sprays either.

In your opinion how much the quote should be? Is he high, low or average?

LWCT.jpg

8. Very low to me. Works out to 367/zone. You can't be getting top of the line material for that. If you've never had a sprinkler system you will probably be satisfied. The less you know about systems the greater your satisfaction level with this job will be. My advice is to quit learning and take this low bid to minimize your feelings of buyer regret.

9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Doubt that there's any rule against homeowners posting here. You've actually provided more info than some "professional contractors" do when they pose questions.

Based on what I see from your plot plan I'd think he's a little low. But who knows... maybe he's cutting his labor costs because he needs the work. Bottom line, like others have stated, is if the infrastructure (POC, backflow, piping, valves, spacings, etc.) is put in correctly then the other stuff (sprinklers) can be upgraded later if you so desire. It's just guess work without seeing a design plan (kinda hard for us to imagine his flagging).

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

It does seem low, but you may still get a good system. This guy may be learning how to bid and run the biz the hard way, but he might know how to install properly. What you may see though is lack of service after the install.