Got a Scag walkbehind---Problems. help.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DillonsLawnCare, Sep 14, 2008.

1. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, as most of you know, i just had a 2008 52" toro ZTR that had cutting issues. so i got a refund on it and then found this scag walkbehind for $2000.

Its a Scag SWZ Hydro Walkbehind 17hp KAW 52" Fixed deck, with a sit down attachment, which sucks... so im looking for a sulky now....

1st ...its not cutting right. it leaves pushed over, some what cut grass in the middle of the 52" swath. The thicker the grass i get into, the worse it gets.
    I have sharp blades on there. I tightened the belts and idler pulleys, but it still leaves the grass.

2nd... I cant figure out how to measure the hydro oil in it. its just a big black resevoir directly under the controls, and it has no measuring stick or anything.

I want to make sure that i have enough in there. what do i do?

Last but not least.... CAN I put a VELOCITY PLUS deck on this mower???

Because, that would solve all my cutting problems..:weightlifter::usflag:

Thanks, and ill get pics up later if anyone wants them..

2. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

Are you not testing these out before you buy them?

3. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

the mower is used and i bought it from a car dealer with no grass! he wouldnt let me take it anywhere to cut with it. i was desperate for a mower. so i had to buy it.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

Let me get this right..

You traded in your Toro ZTR for a scag WB with a fixed deck?

5. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

No,toro refund his money,post us a pic so we can help,as for the hydro it should have a brass tube in the tank?

6. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

I hate to be a jerk about it but you almost deserve what you're getting. How are you going to buy something without even testing it out.....and on top of that red flags should go up if the seller won't let you test drive/cut it.

That's like going to a car dealer and them not letting you drive it before you buy it.:confused::confused::confused:

7. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Check the pitch/tilt in the the deck. The back of the blade should cut what the front blade misses. Are they set on two different heights?

8. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

As far as the hydro level, it should have a metal tube in the reseviour and the fluid should be at the bottom of the tube. As far as the cut, what deck does it have on it. If it is the advantage deck you need to use some high lift blades. I run double blades on when this becomes a problem for me.
    Hope this helps.
    James

9. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

The front of the deck cuts not the rear. Deck should be pitched to the front.

10. MTR999

MTR999 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

spent 2k without testing the product first? wow...