1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got a spare?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Tharrell, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

This happened yesterday while out on the interstate. I don't know how except maybe the tread started to come off and caught the fender.
    I did notice a flat spot about the size of a quarter an inch inside the tread area a couple of days ago. Maybe it had something to do with my new brake controller?I don't think I ever locked up the brakes though.
    What's the deal with trailer tires anyway? Can't reguler truck tires be used? Somebody in the know please edumacate me. Tony
    By the way, my bulldog pipe mount worked perfectly.

Trailer tire 001.jpg

Trailer tire 002.jpg
  2. weeble67

weeble67 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been running raised white letter BFG's (had to match my truck) on my trailer for a couple years. I have had no problems.
  3. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

oh man we've been there...only ours happened on a big dump trailer for our peterbilt. The tire on the lift axle blew at 80mph. The force of the explosion knocked the fender into the lift airbag and punctured it. All this with a full load of sand in the bed. The driver made it to my job where we had to go out and get a new airbag and install it onsite so he had brakes...haha
  4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Looks like that tire was shot a long time ago. There is no tread on it. I use 6ply trailor tires, worth the money.
  5. Tharrell

No tread? It was shaved off from the fender that's bent under.
    This trailer is barely a year old and probably has 3000 miles on it at the very most.
    Anyway, from what I can gather, I probably did it do myself. Underinflation heats trailer tires faster than normal tires and they self destruct from the inside like this one apparently did. Tony
  6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Well then, you must of ran into something to bend the fender into the tire to cause the problem.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Odd thing, but likely what happened is the tire picked something up off the road, somehow it got up in there and snagged that fender right up.
  8. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Been there before and never again. I try to by the very best tires I think these are the ones carlisle ST235/85R16. Expensive but worth every penny.
  9. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

Trailer tires are specific to the axel weight. If you have a 3500lb axel, you want a set of 1750lb tires. Regular truck tires (depending on their load range) will not go that high. Yeah BFG looks great, but are they the right tire for the job?

I really like the Bulldog pipe mount, I will DEFINATELY be adding that to my trailer.

Thanks for the post and pics.
  10. Tharrell

Yeah, those pipe mounts on both sides of the trailer were a good idea but I think I'm actually going to buy 2 more bulldogs so I can lift my trailer off the ground when not in use. This tire failure thing has caused me to do a lot of thinking about my tires. Maybe I did pick something up but, the number one cause of failure is underinflation and I can't help thinking about just eye balling my tires now and then. I'm also going to unload my trailer when it's not in use, just the heavy stuff.
    One other thing I found out about trailer tires, most do not wear out. Sure you may have a tandem and wear out tires but, more often there's a seperation type failure. Tony

PS. The right side tire takes a lot more abuse from running off the shoulder on tight roads and I can remember a road I avoid right now bouncing my trailer really good several times. That combined with underinflation and a few high speed, high heat highway cycles probably caused this failure.