1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got a sulky for the Pro-V---some observations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Two Seasons, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

Mounted the Pro-V sulky, Model RS-S. Scag calls it the "ride-on attachment" lol.

What I like:
    1.) RS-S is easy to install. Have to drill two holes in cross member for spring loaded hook to hold it in "trailer" mode.
    2.) Full size single caster wheel that swivels 360 degrees
    3.) Fully greasable caster wheel and swivel
    4.) Bronze bushings at the mower mount

What I dislike:
    1.) Non-adjustable sulky height. Sulky foot placement is only 2.5" off the turf, but because the Pro-V has up/down and left/right handlebars and I'm over six foot tall, it makes it uncomfortable as my arms are stretched to the limits and I'm hunched over so I can get max speed in a transport/riding sulky mode.
    2.) Seems to be a dead spot while reversing. In other words, tears the turf a little during a fast reverse. This may be what all sulkies do, I don't know, as this is the first one I've ever used.
    3.) Makes the front end of the mower on hills a lot lighter. Can actually pull the front end up.

I've talked with Scag already about any adjustments I can make. None at this time. However, if you are 5' 6" or less, the handlebar positions, no matter the speed selected, are comfortable (I had my business partner, my wife, test it out)!

2. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

It looks nice, but has a really wide stance it seems. Can you detach the unit from the mount on the fly like the pics?(couldnt tell if those were pins or bolts) I have a curb I can't jump without detaching the unit, on my eX, it won't make it just hanging. Sux how they made it a one wheel unit too, I don't like my single wheel sulky. I love the mobilty, just hate the line.
    How do you like the controls on the V?...seems like you have nothing to hold on to for support when turning or on hills? Are you supposed to mow one handed a lot?

3. Two Seasons

I do mow one-handed quite a bit as this mower is a trim mower for us.

Sulky can't be removed unless you take out two 5/16-18 bolts to release the bronze bushings. Not spring loaded like your setup. Note the spring loaded clip in my second picture for the UP position.

For curb jumping I use aluminum ramps.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

looks nice. i had a sulky on my belt but i just didnt like it
  5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like they are trying to eliminate moving parts but I would expect to dig those edges into the turf every once in a while since the sulky is forced to lean left or right with the mower.

If you add weight to the front of the deck it will offset your weight on the back and you can mow a side slope again.
  6. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

they need to make a pivot point right where the tube meets the sulky frame. Looks wellbuilt though.
  7. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

never even saw this, did it just come out? here is our sulky for the pro v:

thats the only pic i have, to remove you pull out that one big pin, really easy.

dont you guys know how to curb hop your pro v?? y use ramps. u just pull the handlebars up in reverse a lil bit then push down forward and the front end comes right up.
  8. Two Seasons

Yes, it just came out. Looks like you have a Bullrider. That was the one I was looking at before finding this one made by Scag for the Pro-V.

If I lean when I turn the machine, it works as advertised. Manual says to step off when backing up---now I know why. The tires spin if you are on anything but flat ground and try to reverse!