Got a ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BobCat#1, Apr 26, 2007.

1. BobCat#1

BobCat#1 LawnSite Member

When you estimate a job,if the customer says he has 1 acre,do you measure to make sure or just go on what he says?Thanks

2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Depends on how good you are ate eyeballing yards. If its for mowing then yea. Whats the bid deal if your off 1 or 2 thousand sqft for mowing. If your talking about fertilizing then no way. Grap you measuring wheel and start walking. Same thing with seeding and sod, I use a 12" ruler for those jobs.

3. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

In my county...you can actually look up the property size online...very very helpful. I can certainly eyeball it and know how long it will take...but having the lot sizes posted is a big help. Believe it or not...Ive had people way wrong about the size of their lots...not saying they were lying lol...but they were way way off.

4. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

What site do you go on to look up the property sizes WJW?

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

This is the perfect way to set yourself up for losing money on the job. 99 of 100 times that 1 acre is going to be bigger than they thought. In every occurance of someone telling me how big their property is, I have always found them to be in error to the smaller when measured.

You certainly can just accept what they say but be prepared to do more work than expected there. The one instance that you would never take their word is when you are going to be applying chem or fert if you are in that biz.

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

OK GUYS

Do the MATH......

Watch this

If you under bid by $ 5.00 IT can cost you thousands.... say you have an issue with bidding so you underbid by 5.00 and you have 40 Customers.

40 x 5 =200.00 and that's a WEEK

4 weeks =800.00 month

800.00 X 10 months = 8,000.00 a year.......Thats a NEW ZTR

ALLWAYS if you are going to bid a lawn at 40.00 that's whay your thinging in your head.... ALWAYS say 45.00............ YOU CAN COME DOWN BUT YOU CANT GO UP.........

think about that NEW ZTR at the end of the year......

Good luck