1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got an flyer for TOPPING TREES today

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Marcos, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Mrsamman

Mrsamman LawnSite Member

This is a very mature silver maple. I already took off two large limbs that were way to low and leaned to far out. Now the tree is much better looking. Like I said I just want to clean out the 1 and 2 year old suckers that are on the larger limbs close to the main body of the tree. This tree is about 50' tall, I just want to clean about 20 to 25 feet up through the middle of the tree.
  2. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

has refused many jobs where people wanted their crape myrtles hat racked !!!! I will not do it !!!
  3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Silver maple, huh?
    The old 'Arbor Day Special' :laugh:

Not much chance killing that monster!
    Go ahead and take as much out of the middle as you can reach.
    ( It sounds like you're going to do this YOURSELF)

But bear in vision this your head :
    "The wind"

If you're only cutting from the bottom half of this tree, you may be setting the stage for the top half to be 'overloaded' by the extra wind burden it will likely get by default.
    This is why the whole tree should be 'thinned' in most cases.
    (I said THINNED not TOPPED!)

...it may be worth calling a pro (who doesn't 'top') for the higher part! :waving:
  4. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll note I also pointed out Ficus trees. They are used along roadsides and such. Mahagony trees are also cut back at times. If done right, the trees come back with a fuller crown than they had before. S Fl is unique in that ours need cutting back to survive windstorms that most of the country never see. The trees do not have deep roots as the soil layer, if you have any, might only be 6" deep.
  5. Mrsamman

Mrsamman LawnSite Member

The tree was here when I moved in a year and a half ago, I just about took it out last fall but instead decided to do some major work on it last spring. Now it tooks alot better but it looks more like a bush than a tree. I've been quite high in the tree already so I will thin it out all the way to the top. I want to do this thinning with a real sharp hand held arborist saw right? Thanks for the advice.
  6. Marcos

You say it " looks more like a bush than a tree " now ???

(Got a digital camera? Download a pic on the site if you have a moment)

I wonder if it was topped at some point in the past at a low point in the tree, and much of the dense growth you're thinking of cutting out now is actually the 'aftermath growth' of the brutalization!

You can usually tell if this is true by studying the tree's mid section and looking for a strange unnatural 'horizontal' cut pattern of sorts, or just 'new' weird angled branching off older trunks.

If you need a good saw or a pole cutting system go to 'wolfgarten.com'
    They would look nice under whatever 'holiday symbol' :laugh: you put out, I'm sure
  7. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Tree topping---"if God wanted trees to look like that He would've created birds with chainsaw feet"
  8. Marcos

Well, just in case they don't GEICO's got ficus covered !!!!!!

9. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about you guys, but It is very COMMON for someone in my area to REQUEST that you top, a.k.a. Butcher, their nice, huge oak tree that has been on this earth longer than they have. These folks are obviously not educated in the ways of the tree.
  10. ACutAboveNC

ACutAboveNC LawnSite Member

My next door neighbor is a customer of ours for many years and has 3 very large crape myrtles. Two seasons ago we were contracted to prune the crape's to reduce the weight of bloom it was producing ( they had a few large limbs snap because of heavy rain). It was done to the standards of crape pruning and looked beautiful once the job was completed. This past season, they had a "professional" tree service come out. The short end of the story is they topped all the crapes and three additional brafford pears. I was in shock when I came home and almost wanted to call the tree service back and ask them why they would do such a horrible thing. All the cuts were jagged and this past season the bloom production was horrible. Some of the problem was the drought, currently almost 17 in and the other was the "crape murder." Some people just really scare me and I make sure to add them to the do not contact list.