1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got an idea and think I may run with it

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cajuncutter, May 1, 2001.

1. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

This afternoon my neighbor brought his glass chip / ding repair kit home to fix my truck windshield. He showed me how this thing works and told me the average charge to do it. It was simple. Put this suction cup with glue in it over your small ding and then take a sirenge with a small valve and tube on it, hook it to this suction cup and push in glue and pull back to create suction. Let stand for aprox. 20 to 30 minutes and done. Around here they get an average of 40 bucks..I figure being new to the glass chip fixing industry I could become a SCRUB :D all over again and charge 25 bucks. Offer to my customers as I mow the yard. When done with yard, done with windshield. Easy money and very good return. Can pick kit up for 150 to 185 which includes enough materials to do 25 dings. The refiles which does 24 is 85 bucks. Not a bad return. Anyone out there offer this service to their customers? If anything you can fix your own windshield and prevent those nice runs that cause you to not pass on that annual inspection. Just a thought..give me some feed back!!
  2. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

If you happen to spit a rock at their shield, you could say, "I can fix that, really, I can!"
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i think its coolto find other ways to make money
    with our customers. it benefits them and you
  4. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I work ful time in a bodyshop, and insurance companies really push thes repairs. Sometimes they work great, but sometimes they leave a place. I thinking of adding a paintless dent repair side biz next winter. I have a little back ground in this, and dealerships eat this up.
  5. jrebeiro

jrebeiro LawnSite Member

Only problem I see is ppl thinking you are scamming them by dinging their windshield then offering to repair it... other than that it sounds like some quick cash... Id go 30 on the price tho.
  6. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

hahahaha the idea was not to ding windshields and then charge to fix them. There is no scam here. If I do do damage such as chipping a windshield I have to eat it anyway. Atleat there will be no charge if I do it myself. I was thinking of just adding that extra little service. I am sure they would rather have it done at home on the spot instead of driving down to a glass company to have this done. This way they get out cheap and do not have to deal with the hassle of driving down and waiting to get it fixed. Yard and windshield all in one swooooop :D
  7. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

I did some web searching on this over the winter, but I didn't find any kits that cheap. Is there any web info on the kit you're looking at? I would buy one for myself if nothing else. Could be some good winter work. Keep us posted.
  8. jjfehr

jjfehr LawnSite Member

Windshield repair, now there is a business that I know! I used to operate a mobile detail operation, and added on windshield repair. There are more scrubs in windshield repair than there are in lawn care!!! No kidding!!!! If you wanted to get business because of low price at the used dealerships, you would need to charge $15-20 per repair! Prob, because of low startup costs as well! Maybee you could convince wal-mart, home depot, sears,etc. to sell their lowest end homeowner equipt. at $5000 a pop, and then maybe there will be fewer lco's!
  9. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

Being in the lawn care business, you should know not to start any venture with a scrub approach. It's hurts YOU and everyone else in the business. If you want to do this, then do it right and charge accordingly(10% more than most others). Think it over, Russ.
  10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I would say go for it but as someone else poted, if you're gonna do it, do it right. Advertise in the paper maybe (perhaps in the little local township type papers, not the big daily newspaper).
    Advertise that you can repair it at thier work locations so they don't have to come to you or miss work to have it done (this is what most car window/windshield replacement companies do around here anyway).
    But charge accordingly. And since it's not your main source of income and the investment is low, it won't really matter if you don't get a ton of biz from it, as long as you're not lowballing the guys that do it for a living.