Got an insult today (Landscaping = 0 intelligence)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Canadian GreenScape, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

I was mowing at this older ladies property today when she came out to ask me to do some extra work. Anyway the conversation came around to my business degree which I just have a few credits to finish up. When I told her I was going to stick with my Landscaping business she informed me that I really should try to find a job that takes some intelligence :angry: I could have told her Im making easily twice as much as I would be with my degree (with less stress) or that I hate working inside and for someone else but oh well.. some people will never understand.
  2. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Most of these people we mow for think we r just a bunch of monkeys with no intelligence. You r right they will never understand that we do what we enjoy
  3. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Some people just always sterotype. I always get mad when someone says something like that, but then just take it and think of $$$
  4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Let's see................
    Just ask her when the last time was that her "INTELLIGENCE" made her $75/hr.
    That ought to just about end the conversation.
  5. NoWalk4Me

NoWalk4Me LawnSite Member
    Posts: 107 mean it takes intelligence to run a business? Nope, I guess employees, insurance, equipment, turf, shrubs, customers, fungi........and on an on could be managed by anybody. Hey I've got a monkey that can do that!!!! Actually, I did see a gorilla on TV just yesterday that has done sign language for many years....maybe he can run a Z. In all seriousness running any business takes some degree of "smarts". Crazy people!
  6. Geoffrey

Geoffrey LawnSite Member

Best solution, Laugh at them to yourself all the way to the bank. My mom used to tell me you can't argue with fools!
  7. Cod

Cod LawnSite Member

When people try to insult my intelligence because I work for a landscaping company, I simply laugh and move on with my life. Because those people that insult our intelligence, are usually the people that are stuck in a cubicle for 9-hours a day looking at the same things every day. As landscapers, we get a change of scenery and we aren't stuck in a 8x10 office all day.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

exactly. Welcome to the site by the way
  9. Cod

Cod LawnSite Member

Oh, thank you. Just found it today actually. I edited my post while you were posting just so you know...
  10. twindiddy

twindiddy LawnSite Member

"... and we aren't stuck in a 8x10 office all day."

we call it a cell.