1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got an insurance quote, this sound about right? -South Carolina-

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by airsoft1779, Mar 17, 2011.

1. airsoft1779

airsoft1779 LawnSite Member

I am in need of insurance, and in a hurry to get it. I got a quote from Nationwide and they gave me the following for general liability insurance. If I understood right, it would cover the clients properpty and everything on it, and any other people that may get injured. Basically everything I might need. I am just starting out and it is just me working. The quotes were

$500 a year- $100,000
    $525 a year- $300,000
    $600 a year- $1,000,000

Do these sound about right? And what other coverage might I need? I am doing residential and one HOA.

Thanks alot!
  2. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds high to me. Had mine with Farmers last year and Farm Bureau this year and 2 million liability was around 200 with each. I got 35,000 in coverage, weedeaters, blowers, mowers and trailer and 2 million liability for 708.00 a year. Hope this helps.
  3. kirkmbrown2001

kirkmbrown2001 LawnSite Senior Member

It also think it sounds a little high! As for which one to choose, if you are doing a HOA, without a doubt, go with at least a million, maybe more!
  4. fireman gus

fireman gus LawnSite Senior Member

SouthSide Cutter am sending you a PM
  5. airsoft1779

airsoft1779 LawnSite Member

Ok this helps. I'll keep looking and get some more estimates. Do you think it would be better to use a big, nationol insurance company like Nationwide, State Farm, etc. or use a smaller company, like one that is personnaly owned?
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have State Auto. 1 mil for $439 a year.
  7. grincon

grincon LawnSite Member

I have a 2 mil. policy. City and commercial jobs usually ask for minimum of 2million in coverage
  8. Cajun Cleanin'

Cajun Cleanin' LawnSite Member

Sounds about right to me.I pay 667 a year for 1 million and all equipment is covered for loss theft and fire.
  9. BaxtersEssentialLawnCare

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

airsoft what part of south carolina are you in? I pay like 590-650 something like that for 1 mil. So I would say that they are about right, I went thru allstate and they wrote it thru the hartford.
  10. Brodie

Brodie LawnSite Member

I'd look for cover no less than a million. Comercial jobs will require you to have a higher coverage level.

Also look into what other things are covered. I know when getting my insurance one of the things that made me go with the coverage I have now was the glass insurance. If I was to hit a window and break it the excess I pay for that is significantly less than if I was to damage something else. Have a look to see if you can get any little things like that.

But for the coverage you have given us the prices seem a bit high.