Got another compressor

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Aug 21, 2007.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I bought another compressor today. Found it on craigslist.com, just like the other I bought last year. I'll post pics after I borrow a camera. Still haven't bought one since I ruined it in the river :rolleyes:

Little bit older IR, water company in Pueblo had it on a flat bed. They sold it to a guy who owns a tire shop, he built the trailer himself, put on an axle and wheels, and all set to go. 150 CFM. Couple of small things to do to it but not bad. It is a gas engine though, 2800 hours. But overall it's pretty good.

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Look forward to pics, does it has the Ford engine? Our 125 has been great.
    Does your thread mean we can now talk openly about winterize?:p

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I believe it has a JD engine, but not sure. And YES let's talk winterizing!! I'm tired of the heat. My ideal sprinkler job would be to winterize, replace timers, and replace bonnets/poppets/backflows and thats it. No shovel in my truck. I'd winterize all year long if possible :dizzy: 20-30 a day/each tech.

I'll start another thread later about this, but I just picked up 200 more customers from another company. And I believe they ALL had their systems winterized last year. And they were used to paying more than I normally charge and used to prepaying ahead.

4. Braggart.............I hope some are in Fountain....

5. Mike Leary

I'd always thought it would be cool to have a truck-mounted compressor, backing those little tow-behind dears is not for the dyslectics. We'd talked about a hose reel like the fuel trucks have. Anyone do that?:)

6. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Thinking about buying a 72cfm truck mount.

I own one 185cfm IR and really think I could get away with a 72cfm. Mostly residential.

I need another compressor but all the rental shops are already booked out around here. So I'm in the market for a compressor unless anyone knows where to rent one around here.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Look on craigslist. Go to your local area within the site, search for air compressor, and keep checking back every week or so. That's where I found both of mine. And I've seen others on there but either looked like crap or they wanted too much $$.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

We've used a 90 and a 100 cfm as our second rented one over the years. Slows things down a little. With the 185 I can do 3-4 zones plus the drip at a time. With the 90 or 100 we could usually do 2 max, especially after they have pushed out a good portion of the water. Sometimes had to go to one at a time. But it could have been the condition of the compressor from the rental shop.

9. Mike Leary

We rented for years, the compressor could be dialed down for small jobs,
    the rental shop finally sold it to me, had the engine re-built, HUGE difference!
    Do you guys blow thru quick couples, faucets, DCVAs, or all of the above?:)

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

This is where you all are going to start b*tching again. But the majority of systems we hook to the testcock valve and blow thru the PVB or RP. We can go round and round with this discussion, but if that is the only place to hook up, or the quickest, that is what we use. Most systems we work on don't have a secondary spot to hook in - QC, hose bibb/faucet, etc. If the others are available then we use that as we can do 4-6 zones sometimes if we can hook that way.