got another question about my encore.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnwizards, Sep 28, 2006.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

it runs just fine when on flat ground but if i try to go up a hill, nothing. i think either the tranny is bad or maybe just the tranny belt. when going up a hill the tranny quits spinning, but when i get back on flat land it starts spinning again. please tell me its just a 13 dollar tranny belt thats bad and not a 250 dollar tranny. thanks. if you need more info just ask.

randy

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Is the tensioning belt tight?

3. lawnwizards

hold on, let me check. just checked. feels pretty loose but thats in neutral. should i put it in gear then check the tension?

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It doesn't matter what gear the trans. is in, If the belt is loose try to tighten it if it looks good, If not replace it.

5. lawnwizards

well, i replaced the belt and it still wont go up a hill. is there some kind of adjustment i'm missing?

6. Restrorob

Have you checked the adjustment on your wheel belts ? Does the unit make any noise when trying to go up a incline ? Where are you looking to see the trans. quit spinning ?

7. lawnwizards

i'll take a picture of my trans. and post whats not spinning.

8. lawnwizards

here ya go.

Attached Files:

9. Restrorob

Thats what I figured, The splines inside the coupler and most likely the trans. shaft are stripped. Is it both sides doing this ? You need to remove the outer shaft in order to slide the coupling off the trans. shaft for inspection.
    You can get these couplings and trans. shaft from any Tecumseh (Peerless) dealer cheaper than a Encore dealer.

You can get them here also; http://j-thomas.com/Catalog/039.htm

10. lawnwizards

yeah, both sides are doing it. how come it runs when its on flat ground but not going up a hill? do i just take the cover of the trans off to get to these splines?