1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got any good interview questions???

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by LB Landscaping, Apr 8, 2004.

1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Interviewing an potential employee on Saturday, looking for ideas on some good questions. Got quite a few, just looking for some different perspectives.
  2. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

do YOU speak english?
  3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Will you take a drug test ?
  4. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

You seem over qualified, why do you want this job?
  5. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell me, briefly, why I should hire you instead of someone else.
  6. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

How does $4.50hr sound? :)
  7. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

With the quality of help these days I was thinking about holding a mirror up to his mouth to see if it fogs up LOL. Hey Rich for $4.50 I'll come work for you!!!!!:laugh: :laugh:
  8. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

"So,what cha wearing under that dress?"
    OK,maybe not.Remember it's a landscaping job.You're not hiring a rocket scientist.Just ask them what their experience is in regards to landscaping.Do they have any problems working outdoors,in all types of weather?
    How long were they at their last job?Why did they quit or were they laid off of fired?
    What part of landscaping do they enjoy the most?

I would have asked them to either fill out an application or turn in a resume first though.Then you can get some idea of their background.The interview would then be used to see what kind of person they are.
    Go light on them,but not too lightly.He/she is probably going to be a little nervous,so break the ice with a joke or something.Smile and be pleasant to them.
  9. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

My favorite interview question is "Would you rather be the best person on the worst team, or the worst person on the best team, and why?" To me there's not really a right or wrong answer, but you can learn a lot about the person by how they respond to the "why" portion of the question.
  10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

We work long hours, what does "long hours mean to you"?