1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got beat out of $140 and $50 this week

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Jun 30, 2004.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have had this customer since last spring and her yard was by far my most profitable. $70 for a 5o minute job. always paid me cash and never complained. Last week I did the yard and went to collect money, she came to door and said she woould have to get with husband to get money, could I wait a few days. Being I neer had no trouble with her said sure. Went back last friday and she still did not have money. Yesterday I stupidly done the yard again and I noticed she did not come out of house to pay me like she usually does. I went and knocked on door and she needed to go cash her check and wanted to know if I could come back Wensday(today) I went back today and she still did not have the money and wanted to know if I could come back tommorw and apologized for putting me off. I told her that I did not time to keep coming by (nicely of course) and if she was having financial problems to let me know and I would work with her. She got real invasive and went back in house and I told her as she walked in the door I would be back tommorow to get paid, Yeah right. No I do not have a contract they do not go over in my area at all, very few lco have any at all. I guess I will have to eat this one. Dam thats 2 ztr payments too! What makes a good customer go bad?

Customer #2
    I done a $60 job for the most prominent lawyer in my area 4 months ago and have sent 4 bills even tacked on late chargesm no response or return call. This man drives a car that is 3 years of my salary and cant pay me $60?GRRRRR really ticks me off!
  2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Get another, better lawyer and sue him. Can you put a lien on a home for labor in GA? If so I'd beon em' both.
  3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

tx the 140 customer leases her home, is not hers and as far as the lawyer goes this dude could take on matlock. I would never win against him. Now if it was 600$ I might be a little more ticked off. I hate to go to court over a small amount, I have done it before and won every time but it just aint worth the stress and aggravation of taking off work.

4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I dig it, man, hang in there... It'll get better!
  5. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Dang sorry to hear that. As far as cust 2 the slimey lawyer the richer they are the cheeper they are. Good luck man.
  6. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Of course you won't win in court...you won't even go to court. He will be so embarrased to appear before the judge he obviosly knows that he will pay you rather than take a chunk out of his reputation over nothing.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You have to hit them where it hurts, in the credit record. www.olddebts.com will send them warning letters, call them or put the debt on their credit record... for a small fee of course. I have used them before and it is very effective.
  8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

The lawyer is very simple. Tell him that if he fails to pay you ASAP that you will report his actions to the State BAR Assoc. for an Ethics Violation. He'll pay.
  9. snippy

snippy LawnSite Member

Funny how many of these high flying wankers are actually broke on paper, probably up to his gills in repayments, a friend of a friend of mine is a repo man and he is constantly amazed at some of the people who's cars he has to reposess, doctors, lawyers, etc, he's probably got less personal net worth than you have!
  10. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Know how you feel I have this lady I cut for twice and my gut told me to make her prepay.Well I didnt go with my gut and she owes me 70$ from march and april. I mailed her a certified letter today threating a mechanical lein on her property we will see if that works.