Got Busted By A 78 Year Old Man Today

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Mountain Gardener, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Mountain Gardener

Mountain Gardener LawnSite Member

Just read the thread about someone getting busted by DOT. Sorry, but I just had to laugh even though it's not funny if it's you.

I got busted by a little 78 year old man today because he thought I was stealing water from a fire plug. We were hydroseeding a new home accross the street from him and getting our water from the plug with a meter, with our name all over our truck and hydroseeder, and with another lettered truck about 100' down the street.

I heard my employee yell OH SHOOT! (or something like that) and take of like a rocket. I turned around to see this gentleman with a 20ga behind me saying he was placing me under citizens arrest.*trucewhiteflag* He had already called the police before he came out. I tried to explain to him that we were legally getting the water through a meter and that with my company name all over our trucks and equipment, stealing water was not something we did.

He never did point the gun at me and he was certainly a gentleman in words and action. After a few minutes his legs began to give out and he needed to sit down before he fell down. He sat down on the edge of our trailer and after another minute or two, handed me the gun and told me I was probably ok after all. Police show up and retrieved the gun, called his daughter to come down, and help her dad. I refused to file a police report or charges. Old fella gave me a hug before was walked back to his door and a little later he and his daughter came back out with chairs to sit and watch us work. We talked back and forth through the day with them. They were really nice people.

2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Old people are funny.

3. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if i would have thought it was very funny. If someone brings a shot gun outside things could go bad real fast. I'm surprised the police didn't arrest him for brandishing a fire arm or something to that effect.

4. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

Mountain Gardener - What a day you had!!! I'm sure the old man felt he was doing the right thing at the time. :drinkup: to you for keeping a cool head and defuseing what could have turned into a bad situation.

I've run into a couple of folks like that around Cotter while trout fishing in the White.

5. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Was that guy on drugs? sounds like he was out of his mind.

6. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

As long as the firearms safety rules are being followed, I totally disagree with you. The old timer obviously knew what he was doing with the firearm, and everything turned out alright. I think it proper the police didn't arrest him for brandishing a firearm. It shows that not everyone has fallen for the ****** notion that firearms in and of themselves are evil. No offense to you or anyone else, but I think the right to bear arms should have been the first amendment, not the second. Firearms are tools, and they were instrumental in creating our great nation. Anyone that doesn't understand that, and the fact that they should continue to be a part of every law abiding citizens life for the remaining life of our country, needs to move to another country. Or California.

7. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Glad this worked out for you. I am sitting here laughing just thinking of that employee high tailing the other way while you stuck there with the old guy. Don't take it the wrong the way but I have a picture of the guy diving behind a truck to hide.

JP

PS Before I get bashed for laughing I know it could have turned out for the worse. I am not laughing about what happened but just at the guy taking off leaving him by himself

8. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

actually it made me think of Grandpa Simpson.

9. TreeCo

TreeCo LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I wouldn't want to be a climber in a tree with that old man around.

Old fools can kill.

I'm glad it worked out alright this time.

10. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I thought of Granny from the Beverly Hillbillies only she wouldn't have let you go.