1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got busted by the DOT

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Royalslover, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure if this is the right fourum for this but I didn't know where else to put it. I got busted for many violations that I didn't even know about. They shut me down and I can't move my truck untill I get a bunch of stuff fixed. Has this happened to many of you. Has anyone ever been fined for being overloaded? If so, how much were the fines?
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

what did you get fined for? What violations?
  3. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

Here are the things I have to do before I can move my truck: Get all four brakes on my trailer working, put on break away kit, put on a new front tire on my truck, put a hubcap on my truck. The other violations were; not having a medical certificate, not having triangles, not having a DOT number, not having periodical DOT inspections, and having an oil leak on my engine.
    I understand these are rules. I didn't know it before, that's what sucks. He barely let me move my truck a half mile to this place I do business and I was able to leave it there last night and tonight. A little common sense would be great. What would be wrong with saying OK, have your truck fixed in ten days and then bring it in for an inspection. No that would be too easy, you have to leave it on the side of the road untill it's fixed or have it towed. Is it any wonder everyone hates the government?
  4. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

Details, details...

Who busted you, where were you that DOT got ahold of you, what kind of truck/rig are you pulling, what are your state regs?
  5. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Did you have a fire extinguisher in your truck or did they miss that? It's pretty much the same around here, they're hitting hard.
  6. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Our landscape association has an annual DOT meeting every October. Two state troopers come and do a mock inspection of a truck and tell us what we need and what they look for when they stop you. Don't mean to sound like an ass, but you didn't know that not having your trailer brakes working, or a break away cable, or no DOT number was a violation? That is common sense stuff. If you aren't already a member, join your local landscape association, they can keep you informed of what you need to stay out of trouble.
  7. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Info....MORE info on your setup. What is the GVWR of your trailer? What is the GVWR of your truck? How much did you weigh? What were you hauling. ALOT of different violations can apply depending on your vehicle types and weight violations. In MI you can be okay with no brakes on your trailer if you dont exceed 3,000 pounds total trailer weight. 1000 pound trailer, 1500 pound ZTR = no brakes required. Put another ZTR on there....BAM = trailer brakes required. Just an example of how the rules can vary depding on what your doing.
  8. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Never been busted but I have been flagged down several times.
    One thing to remember about the commercial motor vehicle enforcement guys, they are held responsible regarding commercial vehicle standards for over the road vehicles and the problems you were cited for are great examples of vehicle collision multipliers.
    By multipliers I mean the severity of the accident and increase for personal injury and property damage are exponential as a result of these multipliers.
    This is why when violations like you mentioned, specifically the front tire and lack of trailer brakes, the CMV guys mandated that you park your truck.
    Hopefully you can get your vehicle and trailer combination up to snuff without spending a bunch of dough.
    One final point, I worked as a peace officer for over ten years, although this was many, many years ago and I have seen some horrendous accidents as a result of a commercial truck not being maintained to DOT standards.
  9. TGM

TGM LawnSite Senior Member

been there myself with other employers, and now myslef (though my rig is safe, i didn't have an extiguisher, triangles, etc.).

a shoddy trailer is a no no in my opinion. i see too many trailers that need $100 in parts to be legal/safe, but the owners are too cheap to fix them (i'm not stating that it's anyone in this thread...just that i've experienced it and seen it too often). make sure the brakes work, that there's sufficient safety chains, and that the lights work:hammerhead:

royal, i don't know about your state, but you may not need dot numbers...maybe just the extinguisher, triangles, and medical card so long as you stay in-state. maintenance logs and hour logs may be a requirement too depending on the state.
  10. GroundEffects125

GroundEffects125 LawnSite Senior Member

Dang that sucks i never knew those laws i need to get some stuff for my trucks and trailers then.