got busted for flyers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rodzilla94, Sep 6, 2004.

1. rodzilla94

rodzilla94 LawnSite Member

Hey guys I'm a new guy here ,Thought i would tell you all thank you for giving all of us new guys advice in the lawn care buisness. I thought i would tell you i put about 400 flyer's on the flags of the mailboxes and got caught by the mailmen (or the mail police lol) they sent me a letter stating that i owe $128 dollars for a fine the postmaster told me any flyer's in around or even hanging on the post the mail box is on is a fine so watch out! i called the postmaster and ask him if i put stamps on my flyer's and put them in the mailboxes it was legal the only difference is i deliver them my self. And he said " i cant answer that i have to check on that " but anyways much love to you guys i couldn't start my business with out your advice by reading the threads P.S i talked him down to $37 dollars on the fine lol.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

are you mad at us or something or blaming us for your mistake? The only advice I ever gave with mailboxes is to NEVER do it. Heck even with doorhangers I have told everybody to get permits.

You should have checked into the situation first.

3. rodzilla94

rodzilla94 LawnSite Member

no I'm not mad i think its funny i don't have a excuse just some threads i read in here the guys say they do it all the time and never get caught i just started out last month, And l know its a little late to start trying to get a business started but thats life live and learn thats what i say i do this biz. on the side i also work construction as a full time job. One day i want to go full time with this business I'm just trying to say that all you guys in here gave me the inspiration to try thats all. The mail men are just doing there job.

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Bummer on the fine but at least you got it reduced. I have never put anything in or on a mailbox but I will put flyers in the newspaper boxes that are hanging under the mailbox. That is legal. Good Luck in your business.

5. mole

mole LawnSite Member

Best thing to do for mailiers is to find the paper boy give him a couple of bucks and have him deliver them for you when he or she dose their paper route. Best day for them to do it is on sunday most people get that days paper. My mailer is on post it note paper so all they have to do is stick it on the front page. That will be the first thig the customer see's.

6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I think it was my mom that said "just because you don't get caught, doesn't mean it isn't illegal or wrong..."

Derek

7. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about your postmaster but you can not put fliers in the mail box or on it but you can stick it to the post and there is not a thing he or she can do about it Tell him you want to see the law. As far as a fine he does not were i live have the power to give out fines the court has to do that. You need to check with a lawyer some of these postmasters think there GOD. We pin fliers to the post all the time. If what he said was true then how do news papers get away with putting paper holders on the post under the mail box. Do you think they let them out of the kindest of there heart I don,t think so. Read the box it says property of us post office does not say that on the post.

8. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I don't get it, they don't OWN the mail box. It's the property of the owner.

9. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

You need to read the print stamped on the box Law says they own it you maintain it.

10. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

A. Not all boxes have it (The printed law that is)
    B. They didn't buy it, it's not on their land, and unless I'm mistaken they don't sponsor all (or any) mailbox manufacturers.
    C. Sounds like a Union thing to me.