1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

got busted with a beer on a job

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by HydroGearHead, Jun 12, 2006.

1. HydroGearHead

HydroGearHead LawnSite Member
    from florida

So here it is fixin to rain like dogs and cats cuz of the hurricane and its 2:30 and me and the maintenance guy at a commercial propery i do decide to put back a cold one. He invited me!!! his juice and his idea!! So we're kicking back shooting the bull in his maintenance shed and the manager comes into the shed and writes him up and puts me on notice. Mow I know i was wrong for drinking on the job but i really wasnt on the job the crew had gone home and it was after hours for me...what really gets me is that he told her it was my beer and my idea i was about ready to **** him good he wasnt man enough to man up to his own beer.....so what do you think, its not like i was on the mower drinking!!!
  2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

while i find nothing wrong with drinking a cold beer, i can't sympathize with you if you were to lose a contract over this. while ideally he should have owned up to it, you still have a professional image to maintain and drinking beer on a client's property isn't helping much i imagine.:hammerhead:
  3. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

I won't even have a cold one if I still have to drive my truck and trailer to the shop. I don't want to chance an accident and maybe some one seeing my truck and wanting to talk to me about some needed work and me smelling like beer. NOT PROFESSIONAL.
  4. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, not professional. You're loss.
  5. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

They should have let you go on the spot. What made him think that it was ok to drink in the first place? Hope you learned your lesson@@
  6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

im with the others guys. Your there to perform a proffesional service. Yes you were done but still drinking while in that situation is very unproffesional.

While I have had beers with clients after a hard days work and always appreciate the gesture thats in private at a private residence. Not holed up in some shed.
  7. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

1) ask the manager, "Please don't tell my boss!"
    2) tell the maintenance guy, "You owe me a beer, for putting the blame on me!"
  8. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't even drink with a residential client. You are operating a truck and trailer. You still have to drive home. Besides, when drinking with clients it takes it to a more personal level. :nono:
  9. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Why is it un professional? It is something that is legal. It is something that a majority of people do. It was after work hours. You guys all sound a little uppity. In fact most big contracts are sealed with a drink. White collar workers do it every lunch. I say if you want something to drink, eat, or suck on at the end of the day, as long as its legal go for it. If they do not like it drop them. PR
  10. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

going to lunch i think with a client and having drinks is def. acceptable. drinking out in a maintenance shed on a clients property is not. very unprofessional... bad news like that can spread quickly among property managers