Got Cicadas?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lawnboy858, Jun 17, 2008.

1. lawnboy858

lawnboy858 LawnSite Senior Member

For about 2 weeks in my area, we've had cicadas everywhere, and especially on the properties I maintain. They don't sting or bite, but what I've noticed from my experience is when you are mowing a lawn, or trimming, they will swarm you, or your lawn mower. They also make a loud hissing noise when they land on you. I'm guessing there is a correlation between their mating call and the pitch of the lawn mower and trimmer engines. I've also noted that if you turn the throttle of your engine down a little, they seem to be less attracted to your mower.

These insects will swarm up to me in a group of about 10 or 20, sometimes even more, and land on my face, chest, arms, and even my Stihl work glasses, thus making it hard to operate a Zero Turn, or continue edging. Usually they are in trees, so about 90% of the time it occurs when I drive or work around trees. They are supposed to be gone the 4th of July in my area, Thank God.

Is anyone else experiencing these pests?

[​IMG]

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Whaaaa NO!
    Even thou they are harmless but what a BUG!

But we have deer flies that don't look like much and you don't think much of them, that is until they bite omg their bite is nasty, it hurts so bad there's no way you can not feel it... So I'm mowing along and one of these things likes to land on me, and seems no matter what I do they follow persistently. Over the years I've gotten better at spotting them (and at least avoiding their bite), but they used to get me good in earlier times.

3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

if they started landing on me in swarms of 10-20, I would have probably drove my ztr through the sliding glass door on the house while franticly trying to get them off. I hate bugs like that landing on me. I don't care HOW harmless they are, I'd still be freaking out and if not drive through a glass door, I'd probably be running over something I shouldn't. LOL

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We just had them in 2004 here in maryland. I love those darn bugs. Dont ask me why but I find them to be very cool creatures. They are not due here again till 2021. I just let them sit on me. They like to ride along on my shoulder while I am working.

5. StoneDevil

StoneDevil LawnSite Member

theres a 13 years Cicadas and the 17 year Cicadas. i have had them land on me when surveying, there harmless but they scare the hell out of you when your not aware of them being on u

6. lawnboy858

lawnboy858 LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly my point. Even though they do you no harm, they catch you by surprise. The first week of mowing with them "swarming" me, I would loose control of the ZTR many times. Then when you try to get them off you, they hiss very loudly. Like ProStreet said, it is best to just leave them on you while you work. It does take a couple days to get used to them though.

Despite my problems with them, I still think they are very cool looking insects.

7. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

i have never seen antything like that!!!.is there another name yall call them?

8. Nickos

Nickos LawnSite Member

god those things are creepy

9. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, lawnboy. They are bad here in KY. Everywhere!!! They are on me all day and I don't mind them, but I freak when one lands on my face or something and I screw up whatever I'm doing at the time. I have 4 in my truck yesterday making all kinds of noise. Couldn't find them either... got three out finally and there's still one chirping away.

10. Nickos

Nickos LawnSite Member

id be mowing in one of these if one ever landed on me...

[​IMG]