Got cleaned out

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by TREEGUARD, Jan 23, 2010.

1. TREEGUARD

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

Wednesday i got a call from a friend said my door on my storage container was open. I rush down to the yard on to find that i got cleaned out of about 10 grand worth of equipment. I called the cops (what a wast of time) to file a report & they tell me if they here any thing they'll call. Not a good way to start off a new year.

2. Cummins343

Cummins343 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Kansas

Sorry to hear that man. The cops can't do a whole lot in this situation. They've got no leads, no surveillance footage, no I witness. What do you want them to do?

3. Bustedblade

Bustedblade LawnSite Member
    from Ny

cops are useless, I'm sitting here with my bud, who is a PI
    here is what to do:
    Stuff does not vaporize, tell the storage people, ask who has recently rented a unit, they might have seen something or they might be guilty.
    Check e-bay, craigs list etc,
    post a wanted ad, for similar stuff that was taken.
    Call other businesses, see if anyone has offered them stuff for sale.
    Check the ad boards in supermarkets, they are a hotbed of stolen stuff.
    Look around the area, see if anything is stashed
    Have a discussion with a detective in the area, they know who the bad guys are
    check ads in spring for new lawn services
    check consignment shops

hope you nab them, I hate people who steal!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. T.M. LAWNS

T.M. LAWNS LawnSite Senior Member

Those are all good tips Busted blade, I can't stand people who steal either! I hope TreeGuard finds his equipment.

5. Bustedblade

from Ny

I'd like to take credit for em but my bud here is a pro and knows his stuff, he nabs em all, from cheating wives to insurance scammers and everyone inbetween!
    Plus he has cool toys, like a camera that can take pictures of your nose hairs from half a mile away!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. TREEGUARD

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the idea about the supermarket thing i check craigs list & ebay every day

7. Bustedblade

from Ny

Check also for similar stuff, sometimes they are smart enough to change things just a little to throw off the cops, like they'll advertise a 48" as a 42" etc.
    Hope you nab em!
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Jake99

Jake99 LawnSite Member

Think about where you can go to get a good deal on your stuff. They will most likely turn your stuff back into money. Alot people not working, they stealing. Won't take long, move fast onit. Hope ya findit.

9. Jake99

Jake99 LawnSite Member

Oh yeah, Ryobi has a really cool motion sensor for about 40 dollars. Gettit at lumber yards. Really loud. Might help ya for next time. I doubt calling 911 will help. Didn't help me. They can't find their own stuff, how they gonna find yours?

10. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

Didn't your insurance cover it? Mine would if that happened to me. I wish the worst for those thugs. This is a good example also why to have good insurance on your equipment. Good luck.