1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Got dropped today....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Liendeni, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

Wow...I just got fired. I know it is for the best...but at the same time...I guess it busts your bubble in some regards. She just called and said she was not happy with my services and they were going to look for someone else.

I just started a couple months ago...and had 15 accounts....14 now. Its okay though....I have only had her account for four weeks and after the very first mowing she called me on the phone and said, "You don't pick the dead leaves out of the flower bed or anything?" and then followed that up with...."I mean you don't cut the trees back?""

You know....I am really trying to stick with this because I know there is always a lot of mistakes an lessons to be learned with any new business and when things get hard....most people quit or give up....so I am really trying to keep a positive attitude but crap like this just gets you down

Do you know what I mean?

Any advice for the newbie who is working hard...and going above and beyond?

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

get used to it...sounds like a pita to me

3. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I've lost several because some kid walked up to their door and said they would do it for 1/2 what I do it for.

4. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't take it too hard. After being in business for 15 years I have dealt with all kinds of people. If she didn't ask for extras then how would you have known to do them? I've had people pissed off at me for mowing because "the morning dew on the grass was just so pretty and you've ruined it" Trust me, you are better off without that type of demographic.

5. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

So - lets see - 1/2 of what you do it for in montana would make it $7.50 per lawn.....Just kiddin...LOL:rolleyes::usflag:

6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

You should think about using a service agreement to spell out what will and won't be done. But it sounds like this one is a pita, so don't worry about it.

7. calandscaper

calandscaper LawnSite Member
    from USA

In the beginning it really sucks because your trying really hard to build your name/credibility etc. However, believe me, she did you a favor. This lady would have taking advantage of you never mind be a pita about everything. You would have had dumped this account eventually. Just my opinion. I would stay focused and keep the other 14 looking great and the rest will follow.
    -Good Luck

8. CuttingEdge LLC

CuttingEdge LLC LawnSite Member

I agree with GRITS...

Letting the customer know what is and isn't included in the price you quoted them prior to any services completed will help keep this from happening. Remember most people want something for nothing, so don't give in and lose your a$$ on a job....

9. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I just hit the 14 account mark myself. Must have gone through 4 bad ones in the last three weeks.
    The customers that I do have never complain, know exactly what my services consist of, understand schedualing for rain outs or equipment and pay there bill on time every month. If I have to go through 10 bad ones to get one good customer then so be it.

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I lost a few this year...hell right now I am glad I have any with the drought and grass not growing.