1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got Family?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jcr_17, Mar 12, 2004.

1. jcr_17

jcr_17 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I was wondering how involved your family members are with your business? Do you have your spouse, kids, cousins, brothers, etc. helping with the operation of your business? My wife is fairly supportive with me just as long as I don't dip into our personal funds.
  2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

My fiance is supportive, but doesn't have any involvement at all. She occasionally refers work my way, so I guess she is helpful!
  3. Neil@PLS

Neil@PLS LawnSite Member

In a word, "ABSOLUTELY!"

My wife is not only supportive, she is a member of the crew.
    As far as children go, our two oldest boys were homeschooled and they would get out and mow as a part of their P.E. class.

I have hired people to work for me, but my sons can work circles around some of them. Family will always be more stable than someone hired from the outside.
  4. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

My family has helped on occasional jobs but no one enjoys this work the way I do. It is a struggle to get them out and I am less than pleased with the result. Now I prefer to hire someone. Someone who likes this work.
  5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I tap my brother to help out every so often, but he's pretty lazy and lives far away. My wife wants to help me, but she can't handle the work.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

nope, wife doesn't want to help out. She is afraid that she will mess up something and then I will take it out on her.

My mother on the other hand wants to do the bookkeeping, but I can't see myself letting my mom see my finanical information
  7. ManleyLawn

ManleyLawn LawnSite Member

My mom and my g/f both do some of the billing for me, messages, and make deposits for me. My g/f came out and helped with leaf removal last year but i think it was a little to much for her. She says she enjoys it but i dunno.
  8. jcr_17

jcr_17 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I agree about others not appreciating the work as much as we do. Every time I walk through a green house or the lawn and garden section at local retailers it seems like I can't stop trying to smell the sweet smell of the fert., grass seed, flowers, pesticides, etc. I started my business out using the my last initial (but will change it soon to be more professional) and made it R & R. Customers always ask who the other R is and I tell them that it is my wife. She is the accountant...she spends all the money!
  9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

When I firsted started out , My business partners wife and my wife run the push mowers for one day a week on our first apartment complex job. They only helped one year until we got more larger accounts and we hired full time employees to replace them.
  10. Jeds_Lawn_Care

Jeds_Lawn_Care LawnSite Senior Member