1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Got fired,for being too fast!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Sep 4, 2000.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

My friend Karl told me that he lost a lawn because the old woman that lives there told him he was too fast! She didn't complain about the quaity of work. I guess she'd been happier if he used a 21". I use to cut this lawn before I gave it to him . Its a $20 lawn, takes 15 minutes.

2. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Bob
    I used to have a bunch of yards in a retirement area. A long time ago my wife worked with me. She would Snap the front yards and then talk with the customers till we finished.
    When she stopped working with me, I knoticed a sharp falloff in tips and end of the year gifts.
    I think sometimes the highlite of there day may be when you pull up outside.

3. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

AS BOBBY'S WIFE, I FELT IT IMPORTANT TO CLARIFY HIS LAST #$$@-*&^% STATEMENT . AFTER TALKING TO THE CUSTOMERS THEN CLEANING THE BEDS, THEN VAC. THEN BLOWING, BOB WOULD FINISH THE WEED-EATING AND WE'D LEAVE. JUST WANTED TO CLARIFY.

4. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I had a customer that used to tell me that I cut her lawn to quickly and that the price should be lower. If remember correctly, I said, "If I took dancing lessons I would do a little dance for you, but your $20 isn't a drop in the bucket to pay for my machinery." Needless to say she found another sucker to cut it probably for cheaper. I believe I red in the paper around that same time, LANDSCAPER JUMPS OFF BRIDGE (kiddin of course about the bridge part), but I now know, now that as I grow older in the business that customers like that really ain't worth the trouble.

Best Wishes

5. OLD CHAPP

OLD CHAPP Guest

BOB
    Homeowners don't have a clue on what things cost like fuel,maintenance,labor,cost to run your company, and so on. I run fast with hydros and velkes. Some people think you charge $45.00 to cut there lawn you should be there for 45 mins with a crew of 3. That is BULL #### I have my bottom line that I have to meet and if the job looks good and the workers look and act professional who cares if takes 10 mins.

6. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

Been there many times . Somehow people seem to think that when you do a job for x # of dollars that that is what you take to the bank . If it is done fast by their standards then you are stealing from them . It seems no matter how businesslike you run things they act like we arn't really a business. I don't have time to educate everyone as to how much I have in expenses . I would like to make copies of my tax returns and pass them out . I have told a few that my books are open to them and please come take a look and show me how to cut costs enough to give them a cheaper price.
    Best thing to do with these folk is cut'em loose asap.

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

To Bobbys wife: Maybe you should redo that blowing sentence. maybe a period after blowing.

8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

LOL @ Charles.

It is pretty sad when you are judged by how much time you spend on a customers lawn and not the finished product. I really believe there is a group of people that would rather see you "earn your money" than have a decent looking lawn.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you own a 5000 dollar mower, and cut a lawn for 30 dollars, buy a 10,000 mower so you can cut it for 10 or fifteen dollars. Or better yet, buy a 40,000 dollar mower so you can cut it for a couple of bucks!

10. Starling Lawn

Starling Lawn LawnSite Member

Bob,
    I had the same thing happen to me except that I lost 2 accounts at one stop.Two wealthy neighbors who thought that because I didn`t spend a half a day there that they couldn`t justify the expense.I smiled,said its been real,loaded up the mowers and went on.
    I found accounts to replace them and didn`t miss a beat.Life is too short to justify my costs to customers.

Mow on,
    Dave