got fired not sure why

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by promower, Oct 5, 2005.

1. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got notice that I lost one of my bigger accounts, paid around 15,000 for the year including snow removal. I'm not to upset about it, but I cant figure out why I was fired. The letter states (condo assn.) "Our board of directors have met regarding mowing, trimming, aerating, overseeding, and snow removal. After reviewing the bids the board has chosen another service company. I want to thank your crew, and you Matt for your work this past summer and winter. You have been easy to communicate with and have worked hard. Best of luck to you in the future." This condo assn. has a ton of money, so I really dont think it came down to price. Actually when I submitted the bid in the beginning of the season, they actually raised the price of the shrub trimming $100 because to meet the price they had paid last year. Would it be out of line to call and find out what the decideing factor was? I'm curious because if their are areas we need to work on I want to know.

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I would but the outcome would not change

3. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not looking for a different outcome, the decision was made and I'm sure new contracts have already been signed. Just wanted to know what the reasons were so I know what we need to improve on. So the question is, would it look bad to give a call and and ask a few questions? As of now we are splitting on good terms.

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I think I would just leave it alone. It was probably not a thing you done wrong but they just got a cheaper price. At least you got a nice letter, in my area you dont get nuthin until you pull up and see that someone else has mowed it :angry:

5. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

You have to remember its just business not personal. You will have a lot more of these you just have to let it go and move on..

6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

type up a questioner,
    "In an effort to improve our business we review all cancelled accounts"
    Please take a moment of your time to answer these questions and there is room on the back for you to include comments.
    make a list of what you think are weak points and have them grade you on a 1 to 10 scale, include fairness of price as one of the questions, was a lower bid the deciding factor? if not what was?
    this is not a new practice auto dealers do it all the time. send it to the assoc. and include a post paid return envelope.
    be prepared you may not like the responses.
    This way the association will not feel like you are cornering them, you could word it so it sounds like you want to address their concerns and be sure to inform them that if they will consider it you would like for them to send you a bid pack for the next bid term. if it was just underbid, plan on hearing from them for the next cycle.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Your price got beat. "Condo associations" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:"

8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I would call to see what the deciding factor was. What does it hurt?

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It is very important to have at least one person on the board that you can talk with. If you didn't have one in this HOA be sure next time to get someone that can feed inside info to you. Obviously you were left out of loop when they rebid. I would knock on the door of the one of the board members and ask them why they changed. Hard to run away if you are at the door.

10. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

They told you in the letter why you lost the account.

"After reviewing the bids the board has chosen another service company."

Somebody was cheaper than you. You were doing a fine job and that is why they wrote the letter.

"I want to thank your crew, and you Matt for your work this past summer and winter. You have been easy to communicate with and have worked hard."

It is obvious to me the person who wrote the letter didn't agree with giving you the boot but he was out-voted because of price.

I have often considered going in with a contract that gives these price motivated decision makers exactly what they want...cheap price and cheap service...but with no way out once they figure out exactly how cheap your service really is. Basically, I think these a-holes will sign on the dotted line for a five year contract with enormous early termination fees IF the price is low enough. Then, just make sure the contract is written in such a way that there is no way they can give you the boot without paying the early termination fee. Almost a scam, but a legal scam.

Stories like this one really piss me off. They were happy with you. They were ok with your price, or at least they could afford it. But they wanted some one to do the same job cheaper and that is exactly what they found.

In fact, I bet you could run a study of this and find that property managers who are motivated by cheaper prices and actively pursue cheaper bids each year can get their landscaping done for less every single year even though every single one of their other costs are going up year over year. That's how f'd up this industry is. Then occassionally, I assume they run into somebody pulling the scam I outlined above and then maybe they see a year over year price increase when they hire the next landscaping company because suddenly they are focused on quality as opposed to price.

Done with my rant.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper