got fired today

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Feb 25, 2008.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

as some may remember i have been in the process of starting my own co. and i told my boss he was upset but we were moving forward to train my replacement. then he says he wants me to sign a non solicitation contract. so i posted here and all of you folks said not to sign as did my lawyer. this morning he asked if i had signed it I said no and I have no intention of doing so but I have no problem staying on to train the new guy. he told me to turn in my phone, key, and any confidential papers i have. I left the door open on my end by saying if he needs help just call.

I am sure he will be calling in a month when his new guy is pulling his hair out trying to learn all the jobs finish the jobs i started and deal with all the start ups.

2. No Rush

No Rush LawnSite Member

Hey, I believe you did the right thing by leaving on a good note...he may think about what he did and regret it. Good luck with your business!

3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

I am sure he will be calling in a month when his new guy is pulling his hair out trying to learn all the jobs finish the jobs i started and deal with all the start ups.[/QUOTE]

What are you going to do for in come Until you start your business.:waving:

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The future is now. Best of luck!

5. lawnjockey56

lawnjockey56 LawnSite Member

time to stop calling him your boss :)

6. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

What are you going to do for in come Until you start your business.:waving:[/QUOTE]

well this week i am doing some duct work on a house my friend is redoing (hvac is was my job before irrigation). then next I will be working for my brother putting up deer fence on a large estate and doing other landscape related things untill the season starts.

7. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Often the scariest step when starting your own business and being your own boss is figuring out when to actually take that step.
    Like you I was canned from my last job but I had a firm customer base built up to start with so the transition wasn't difficult at all.
    June 2008 will be the start of my eighth year, and I for one can say no more to corporate jobs ever again.
    I have been approached to adjunct instruct Agronomy at both a local community college and at a 4 year university (out of state) - however I consider positions like these nothing like corporate jobs, not at all.
    What I mean is that all I have to do to satisfy the position requirements is to teach the sylibist as it is written, grade the exams, and I do not even have to maintain office hours due to email/cell availability.
    The only down side is I do not have the time to do this right now but am planning on a full time position once I complete my Masters and sell the business.
    Hey, for $65K for six months, year long benefits and free golf I figure I can't go wrong.

8. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

You were fired... file for unemployment even if you don't need it, might as well do it while you can.

9. Ditto
    He is now a competitor.
    Good luck/ From what I've read in your posts I think you'll do fine.

10. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Lets not start on this again. This was already tackled in another forum.

You did the right thing, be the bigger man. Eff him if thats the way he rolls.