Got fired

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mak2, May 27, 2006.

1. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a customer until yesterday that was kinda a PIA. I bid his lawn at $20.00 per week figureing to mow it with the Z in about 20 min, then trim and blow and be out in half hour. Well the guy nitrogened his yard and it is a grass farm. I mow once a week and never missed a day and the grass build up each week was pretty bad. I blew it in but he wanted it bagged. I ahve an accelerator bagger for my quick so I thought I would try it one week. it took about an hour. Of course there was no place on his property to dump it so I had to bring the grass home to my mulch pile. Anyway he has a tree that is within 34inches of his neighbor. I know this becasue I made the circle around his tree it cut 2inches into his yard, and the next door neighbor had a fit ok, so I mowed that part with the 21 inch and the rest with my quick. Bottom line I had an hour tied up each week getting paid $20.00. He called to complain aobut the dead grass that built up on top of his grass, I told him I would bag it for twice the price. A few days later he left a message on my voice mail he no longer needed my services, he has replaced me. Do you guys really try to keep customers like this? How far do you go that is "good buisness? And who took this account? :hammerhead:

2. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

That guy isn't worth 20 bucks a week. And if you're figuring roughly a buck a minute...then you were losing money if it took you an hour...so it's probably best that you can move on.

3. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

I thought so, but I jsut hate losing customers.

4. jpicciu

jpicciu LawnSite Member

Forget about that one. Hopefully it won't set you back too much, although I can't imagine a $20 account hurting you too much. Too much work (with the bagging). Let someone else deal with it.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

As far as how far I will go to please them, the answer is not very. Nowadays I would've been gone long before that guy had a chance to fire me. Matter of fact, I would've never showed up for 20 dollars.

Next time you get a grass farm, cut it every 5-6 days, this is the exception to what I usually preach but you won't run into too many more like this.

That guy was :dizzy:

6. SCAG POWER

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

sharp gator blades will make short work of that mess. Raise your price min cut 35.00. Or take the advice above $1.00 per min based on 48 cuts per year

7. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

You got fired ??? Sounds like he did you a favor and didn't know it.

An account like that one is a big pill to swallow. Just for your own info and curiosity see how long it takes him to find another LCO.

Nosmo

8. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

Feel your pain on losing an account but stand back a little and realize you cant make everybody happy and that guy did you a favor.As you get more accounts hopefully you can do the firing when you get a PITA like that.

9. BERTPCP

BERTPCP LawnSite Member

$20 a week!!!!:confused: No wonder why I am having trouble picking up new lawns.... $35 is my minimum:nono:

10. BERTPCP

BERTPCP LawnSite Member

If I made 48 cuts a year I would be mowing at my plow accounts!!:)
    How do you think my husky would handle the snow.. lol