Got fuel, got spark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeLT1Z28, Jan 28, 2008.

1. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

but it won't start. my 24.5 kubota will not start. I've got a good spark, i have fuel in the bowl and the electric fuel pump appears to be running (i can hear it and feel it when i put my hand on it). any thoughts? I have sort of racked my brain on this one all day. i haven't checked the timing since i don't have the specs on it (this engine has a distributor).
  2. CleanCutProLawn

CleanCutProLawn LawnSite Member

do you smell gas after you have been cranking. Try a little carb cleaner directly into carb see if it will fire up for a couple secs.
  3. hydro drive

hydro drive LawnSite Member

Check Compression. You may have blown a head gasket or such

You can check your gas flow by spraying carb cleaner into the air cleaner. (What CleanCutProLawn said)
  4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Most of the time is fuel delivery problem where do you have mower stored in side or out side :drinkup:

5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Did you prep it for winter storage or just park it and leave the old gas in it?
  6. MikeLT1Z28

i am still using it, we get mild winters here and it might be 30 one day and 60 the next. it stays parked in the garage with all the other equipment and the gas is very fresh in it.

i pulled the plugs and turned it over and got a healthy push of air out of each cylinder. i've got to get the compression gauge from my father in-law before i can really test it. i'm not smelling gas after the crank cycle NOR was there any excess coming from the cylinders when i spun it over without the plugs.

just for reference the temp right now is 57 and it's warmer in my garage.
  7. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

i would put the plugs back in and give it a shot of either. see if it fires.
  8. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

One of my compressors did the same thing. I had two problems. One the rotar on the distributor cap had come loose. Two there was a loose wire. it had slipped of the end of where it had been connected. I wonder if you don't have a loose wire or a wire that is barely making a connection.
  9. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

Just because you have spark at 14 lbs per square inch (sea level) doesn't mean you have it under compression. Get new plugs if you haven't already. You can have spark, but it's either not enough voltage (coil problem) or won't spark under compression. I've had that before.
  10. MikeLT1Z28

ok, i got it. it was either a loose wire off the oil pressure switch or a bad switch. i swapped it with my project mower, reconnected it, topped off the oil level and she fired straight up.

Appreciate all the input.