Got in some trouble today.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cpt87gn, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cpt87gn

cpt87gn LawnSite Member

Well i do mostly mow trim and blows yards this is my first year. Last week I had a costomer ask me if i could trim some branches that were coming from here neighbor tree and that the owner of the tree (lets call her Sue)was fine with me going into her yard if i needed to. today I had her other neighbor ask me the same thing so i trimmer alot of branches that were coming into her yard from the same tree i did last week Sues. alot of branches fell into Sues yard when i was finished i knocked on her door to get permission to clean up the branches that fell in her yard the baby sitter answered and gave me permission and asked me for a buisness card i cleaned up and day over. i go back to her street to collect a payment from somebodys yard i did and i see a cop at her house an hour later and i get a nasty call from Sue saying that she filed a police report for transpassing and that i cut into her property line (which i did because my lack of experience I thought i was doing her a favor)
    and that the cuts looked bad not clean more like torn which is also true.and that shes haveing a certified arborist come out tommorow to see if i ruined her tree that is real old and that gives her house a great deal of value she said i wouldbe in deepS@#$ .I told her that i thought she was ok with it and that i never went into her yard before i got the permission and that i wasnt finish yet. That i was still going to finish the cut off and spray the cut with tree coat .but she wouldnt hear it. / side note i think her and the neighbor that payed me dont get along. Im concerned about this I did do some things wrong I think im sticking to mowing.

2. cpt87gn

cpt87gn LawnSite Member

Sorry for the bad grammer.

3. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

This is why we have insurance.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Grass Shark

Grass Shark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 7

We learn from our mistakes.... do not get discouraged. I hope you have insurance :confused:

5. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

If she didnt pay for the job then dont sweat it. She would have to take you to small claims and it wouldn't be worth it. You didnt damage anything so she has no leverage on you. I am in TX too, and if your tree crosses into a nieghbors property, they have the right to cut it or hire someone to do so.

6. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

Lol I have one of those, except the tree is on my clients property, neighbor is a complete a hole! Threatened to call the cops on me when I was plowing my clients drive at 5 am. :laugh:

you'll be fine! She's calling an arborist to see if her tree is alright! Well as long as you didn't cut it down it'll be fine! Although it is fall so it may look dead in the winter but it's just dorment :D

but ya your fine! As long as that babysitter gave you permission to go into the yard.

If she called me complaining, I would have told her "the leaves from your tree are falling on my clients yard and killing it" then I would have hung up.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Would it be possible to see a picture of the tree? Maybe tell us where the property lines are? As I read your post it looks like this tree has a canopy so large it spans 3 yards? Your customer's yard, the yard the tree is in, and the yard on the other side? That is one big tree.

It seems like you've been cutting the wrong grass and hacking up someone else's tree. I'd be pissed too. The permission of the baby sitter is nothing. You might as well have asked the grass of it was okay to go onto the property.

If she's filing trespass charges then you did more than walk onto her property to pick up some debris.

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

legally you can cut to the prop line and not to the point of damaging the tree. IE making the tree unsafe. SO you could not trim the tree back to the prop line if it would harm the tree or its overall appearance.

But cutting to the line looks like crap. if you did crappy cuts with tears and such I'd be upset as well...

9. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

Had a situation here a few years ago were a utility contractor cut through the drip line roots of a huge old tree, not sure what kind. Anyway the owner called an arborist and he said the tree would die in a year or so. The owner sued the utility contractor for $80,000 and won. That is what they figured the value of the tree was and the enhanced value it gave to the lot. This was in a high end part of Atlanta.

I hope you have insurance or you could be in deep $hit.

Dave...

10. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

put some ground killer on her lawn! How her wow boss!
    But yes, pictures would be nice, as for the tree being in two yards, maybe it's in like a back corner and the lot backsup to another house, then it could spread over 3 seperate yards. Not including the owners.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.