Got Kubota questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yard anvil, Jun 1, 2004.

1. yard anvil

yard anvil LawnSite Member

I demoed a Kubota 28hp with a 72'' deck today and I have some questions. Does any one know if they will stripe? Also, when the dealer tried to load it back up on the trailer, it wouldn't climb the ramps. I tried to load it on my trailer and had a hard time getting it up my 5' ramp. My Ferris (25hp 60" deck) goes up it easily, but the Kubota struggled. Does it take some time for the hydros to break-in?

2. kubotakid

kubotakid LawnSite Member
    from CNY

What range did he have the hydro in? Mine wont move up any steep ramps in high. Medium range no problem. That was your problem.

Was it a Mid Mount Mower? If so people have rigged up stripes for them. Rear Mount... your outta luck

3. yard anvil

Kubotakid, this was my first experience with Kubota, I didn't know they had ranges, are they easy to change? The type I tried was the ZTR.

4. zmak

zmak LawnSite Member

be carefull when changing the blades bolts strip out very easy.
    Only place to get replacements is from the kubota dealer.

5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

There are no ranges on the ZDs. If it wont climb a trailer ramp your dealer needs to give it some serious attention. There is no break in for the hydro system. They stripe about the same as any other brand of Z. Also was this a new or used machine? The reason I ask is the early ones had a design flaw on the pump shaft, they used a bushing instead of a bearing and on a few units the bushing would get loose and allow the pump to pull air into the system. They have since been corrected.

6. yard anvil

It was brand new. 1.3 hrs on the meter.

7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

My ZD21 will go up a hill steep enough to lift the front wheels into the air. If I were you I would demo a different unit from the dealer.

8. yard anvil

Thanks specialtylc. My Ferris is the same way. The front will come up or it will start digging in. The Demo wouldn't offer to spin.

9. thebruken

thebruken LawnSite Member
    from KY

I have a zd21 and it will lift the front wheels off on a steep hill and no power loss, I have also pulled a drag of two railroad ties and chainlink fence around with mine and it pulled this well also althought you knew it was pulling it. that one must have a problem.