Got low-balled today!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LB Landscaping, May 1, 2003.

1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I had a small condo last year for maintenance. It was a good fit for me because I drive by it almost everyday so I gave it plenty of attention. They called Monday to reply to the letter I had sent them gearing up for this year. I went to visit with the Pres of the association on Tuesday to discuss what they wanted this year. I quoted the same price as last year for mowing, they wanted mulch spread and a spring clean-up. I gave them some VERY competitive prices for each item. He sounded impressed, stopped by yesterday to drop off a copy of the proposal for them to sign and return. I got a call from them tonight saying that someone underbid me and they were going to go with them. I didn't even realize they were shopping. From the conversation I had with the Pres they just wanted an idea of what they would need to spend this year. Oh well you win some you loose some.
  2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to here that Jeff, IT WASNT ME (LOL!!!) Anyways send them a card in the mail towards summer reminding them who you are and agian in fall to be added to the bid list! Stop by the property throughout the year and note some problems (if any) and record them and address them with your new bid on the next contract!!! Oh Jeff dont follow my black trucks around now that I reveiled a secret!!! LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!
  3. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

thats condo's for ya
  4. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Focus on high-end residential accounts, they won't bid you out every year. I went thru the same thing years ago on Cape Cod with condo's.
    Sounds like you put your heart into that account and look what they gave you in return. Sorry to hear you lost the account.

5. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the simpathy guys!!!
    Brian I thought I saw a black Ford in their lot (just kidding). Good advice, I will definatly do it. As far as following you around I think you'd see me in my Big Red Chevy!!!! LOL!!
    Nlminc, I did a great job for them you're right, thats what surprised me. When I went to talk to the Pres he said that they were very pleased with us last year thats why they called me.
  6. C & T

C & T LawnSite Member

Before I went on my own, the lco I worked for dumped most of his condo accounts, they were nothing but a pain in the ***. always took too long, never satisfied, tenants telling you how to cut, trim, their condo. Be glad you don't have it, push for residential or a commercial account. Try your local Remax or other realtor, give out your business card to them. They might have property that needs maintaining for perspective clients/buyers.

LLMSERVICE LawnSite Member

I only do residentials now for the same reason noted in other posts

1. They don't ask for new bids each spring
    2. More likely to refer you to freinds
    3. Always looking for more services and don't mind paying for it.
    4. ...and they bring food and drink out to us.
  8. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

This is why I like dealing with residentials and businesses as well. I will not however work for businesses where I do not deal with the owner of the company. So if it's a $500,000 a year business and I can deal with the owner then I will deal with them. If it's a $20,000,000 a year business and I can deal with the CEO or President.. then I will work for them.
  9. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I only have residentials, with plenty of extra work at each account. I find that if I service the accounts well, they do not shop around. I have only lost one in 4 years, and exec from Chemlawn now has his own crew do his summer house.
  10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Stay in contact with them as the person who underbid you might get dumped. This will also give you the chance to know when they are accepting bids the following year.